[volt-nuts] Keithley triax cables, 6011 and 1506/1507

Andrea Baldoni erm191ba3 at ermione.com
Sat Nov 21 11:43:43 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:38:40AM -0600, Russ Ramirez wrote:

> Andrea, I can comment on the Triax cabling in that the Pomona and others
> you see on ebay are not compatible for the Keithley units generally. I have
> a 617 electrometer that I acquired from the designer of it, and he told me
> that Keithley Sr made sure the triax design was unique; a Keithley designed
> 3-lug Triax BNC design. Then as you already are aware, there is the

Hello Russ.
I am aware that there are also 3-lugs triaxial BNC, but my 617 has a 2-lugs one.

Surely this is the original connector on the equipment; maybe you have
a more recent revision of it?

> Faraday Shield 'box' with alligator clip leads, attached to the Triax
> chassis connector internally with solid wires (just used Cat-5 wire pieces)
> so that outside EM would not add to the noise level on low current
> measurements. That actually does make a huge difference and allow for
> extremely low voltage and current measurements with greater certainty. This
> instrument is a real pleasure to work with.

When I will finally be able to test it, I will try your suggestion.

By the way, no one knows anything about the connector for the 181 nanovoltmeter
and relative cables? While triax are already difficult to source, this one
seems to be impossible.

Best regards,
Andrea Baldoni