[volt-nuts] Fluke 5205a Repair

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Sep 28 16:41:40 EDT 2015

Hi David,

Do be careful inside of that 5205A, it has lots of gotcha
points that would be quite happy to light you up like a
Christmas tree.

Mine has some issues with the fault circuitry from time-to-time,
particularly after it has sat for a while.  I believe that most of
the problem is related to intermittent short circuits on some
circuit, or other, tripping the fault circuitry.  I have made no
attempt, as yet, to hunt them down.

Try giving your unit a hard thump on the bench, and blowing it out
with compressed air.  I found that mine got over its problems for
quite awhile that way.  How long?  I don't guess I will know until
the next time it faults.

I think it is probably either a stray spider building a web in the
wrong place, or tin whiskers.

-Chuck Harris