[volt-nuts] Fluke 5205a Repair

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Sep 29 16:06:16 EDT 2015

Hi David,

My eye keeps wandering over to U40, U43, and that abortion of
tantalum capacitors, and snubber networks hung on the inputs to
U40, U1 and U2.

Whenever I see stuff like that, I know the engineer was getting
frantic over being toasted by glitches.  FF clocks just aren't
at all amused when they see a glitch come on their clock, or
preset/reset lines.

Also, old tantalums have a habit of becoming noise sources as
they short, and unshort bits and pieces of their oxide layer.

I have seen a few that tested ok, except that their leakage current
kept spiking and returning to normal. You might not notice that
sort of behavior on a power supply bypass, but it is bound to
raise an eyebrow when it happens on a logic input line, or
an integrator (not this circuit, I know).

Capacitors hung on logic lines are always a bandaid fix.

-Chuck Harris