[volt-nuts] fluke 731b battery pack

Eric Garner garnere at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:27:23 EDT 2016

So I managed to get one of the Fluke 731b's mentioned on the list a while
back. It was a little more chewed up than the description in the auction
led me to believe:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/112871219575380932919/posts/iDWyzwYYRdj?pid=6314634305601690930&oid=112871219575380932919

but it appears to be functional.

The NiCd pack appears to have leaked some time in the past and was removed,
which is fine since I was going to replace the batteries anyway.

Looking through the archives, replacement battery packs for the 731b has
been a popular topic but I have some questions that remain open.

1. NiMH cells seem to work in the 731b so I'd prefer to use them over NiCd
because of the higher capacity and lower toxicity of potential leaks. Is
there a downside to doing this?

2. If I go with NiMH, is there a manufacturer that's prefered? reading
reviews of NiMH cells online leads me to believe that some manufacturers
(Tenergy) have lower quality and are less reliable.

3. If I go with NiCd would you expect problems if I used larger cells (4/5A
vs 2/3A)

thanks

--Eric