[volt-nuts] fluke 731b battery pack

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Aug 3 16:34:31 EDT 2016

Eric wrote:

> NiMH cells seem to work in the 731b so I'd prefer to use them over NiCd
> because of the higher capacity and lower toxicity of potential leaks. Is
> there a downside to doing this?

In my experience, good NiCDs are preferable to NiMHs.  Good NiCds have
substantially lower self-leakage than NiMHs (this is true even of the
"NEW!! Low-discharge!!" NiMHs).  NiCds also don't degrade nearly as fast
if they are left too long on trickle charge.   Both of these features
translate directly into increased life for the NiCds.  NiCds are also
quieter, and capable of larger current drains, due to their lower
internal (series) resistance (high current is not really an issue in
your application).

Consumer-type NiCds may suffer from the problem PHK noted (poor quality
due to low production volumes), but there are still many industrial and
military applications that specify NiCDs for some or all of the reasons
given above.  Excellent NiCds are readily available -- just look for
aerospace-grade parts rather than consumer batteries.

Many built-in charging circuits are crude and leave the batteries on a
trickle current that is really too high, particularly given the
temperatures inside electronic instruments.  So whichever batteries you
choose, plan on redesigning the charging circuit.

That brings up the possibility of using either LiFePO4 or SLA (sealed
lead-acid) batteries -- if you have to redesign the charging circuit
anyway, you can just as easily design it for LiFePO4 or SLA.

I have not evaluated the 731B power supply in particular, but LiFePO4
would be my presumptive choice unless I encountered an insurmountable
obstacle.

Best regards,

Charles