[volt-nuts] Thermal EMF - more results

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 20:08:14 EDT 2016

All this talk about thermal EMFs may not be particularly relevant.
Solder is used in connections between two metallic objects, like wire and
a terminal. The thermal EMFs between a soldered copper wire and copper terminal
have exactly equal and opposite values between the solder and the metals.
I first met this in mid 60s making thermocouples, I was told that they should be welded
not soldered because of the solder metal EMFs. I did both soldered and welded
over the years, mainly for practical considerations, and although some situations
were quite critical, I have never found evidence that solder matters. Even if you consider
a metal like tin diffusing into the copper and changing its EMF, adjacent to the area
of diffusion is a reverse gradient of tin concentration and thermodynamic considerations
dictate that there is no effect for static conditions.
The worst effect is the response of the junction to a persistent thermal
gradient, but this is hard to maintain over the distance of solder thickness.
cheers,
Neville Michie