[volt-nuts] Keysight 3458A vs Keithley 2002 8.5 digit multimeters.

Illya Tsemenko illya at xdevs.com
Mon Jul 18 07:11:04 EDT 2016

Well, it's the topic many can go on and on about.
As with everything there are specific cons and pros of both units, but
here are my 5c:
+ K2002 is smaller, lighter (4kg vs 10kg), less powerhungry (sometimes
it's important if you send unit for cal overseas, or take to remote site).
+ K2002 can support scan cards (standard, or low-EMF ones) via expansion
slot
+ K2002 DCI/ACI goes up to 2Amps
+ K2002 goes bit higher on ACV frequency (15MHz, but performance there
is so-so)
+ K2002 natively supports thermocouples, RTDs, SPRT thermal sensors and
custom settings
+ K2002 supports rare rainbow unicorn nanovolt preamplifier Keithley
1801 (substitute can be bodged up but that's not beginner's project)
- Old K2002's require capacitor replacements (units with S/N 06xxxxx and
05xxxxx). Mandatory! Meters from 2005+ year have S/N starting with 11xxxxx
- Readings noisier than 3458A
I have two units in use, and have worklogs for both :
https://xdevs.com/review/kei2002/ - newer K2002 from year 2007
https://xdevs.com/fix/kei2002_u2/ - older K2002 from 1994 which was
repaired after capacitor leak damage.
Service of these Keithley meters (and 2001, which are very similar
design) is not complicated, but require attention and knowledge what you
doing. There only few custom parts used.

Now regarding industry standard 3458A. Reason why you saw only 3458A in
metrology lab is simple:
Superior ADC (many rightfully think it's best on market, ever), amazing
linearity (JJA was required to test linearity with good confidence),
very easy calibration (just need 10V reference and 10KOhm standard
resistor to get 3458A calibrated to uncertainty of used standards),
Artifact calibration (ACAL) to significantly remove impact of
temperature variation on accuracy, proven performance. Many labs use
3458A as main transfer standard due to it's ADC performance.

It comes at cost though, as key components of meter's A/D are custom
hybrids. Meaning if you got sour pill, and A/D drifting, you will have
to replace expensive A/D board. Newer Agilent/Keysight branded 3458A's
are essentially same boxes, just with newer hardware and likely with new
FPGA-based digital brains. Performance is same though, unless you really
getting early 1990's meter. Many design issues and items I got covered
in my repair worklog: https://xdevs.com/fix/hp3458a/

Brief 10V comparison : https://xdevs.com/datalog_tcomp/ - sampling 10V
connected to 2001+2002+3458A
Some of the A/D noise comparisons (meter input shorted) -
https://xdevs.com/article/dmm_noise/

So decide what fit best your needs. 3458A is overall higher performance
instrument, but in lot of applications outside of metrology it's
performance benefits may not cover up for higher price and size. Both
3458A and 2002 are still supported and sold new by manufacturers.
Regular calibration of these is likely be over 1000$USD, and lab-grade
calibration for 3458A is usually in range of 2600$USD.

P.S. there are also few other 8.5d meters, but much less information
available on those, as less people have them. Only "modern" 8.5d meter
is 8508A, which cost even more than 3458A without much performance
improvement.