[volt-nuts] Thermal EMF - again more results

Andrea Baldoni erm191ba3 at ermione.com
Sun Jul 31 05:19:42 EDT 2016

Hello.
Thank to the contribution of Dan Kemppainen and Herbert Poetzl, I had the
opportunity to test more alloys. As before, a really low EMF (< 2uV/K) hasn't
been identified.

Measurements have been done between water ice point and boiling point with
Agilent 34401A.
I don't expect the curves be linear, but here it's assumed they are.

Copper - Sn96.5/Ag3/Cu0.5 -> 3.35uV/K
Copper - Sn95.5/Ag3.8/Cu0.7 -> 3.22uV/K
Copper - Sn60/Pb40 -> 3.34uV/K
Copper - Pb92.5/Sn5/Ag2.5 -> 3.02uV/K
Copper - Sn99.3/Cu0.7 -> 3.43uV/K
Copper - Sn96/Ag4 -> 3.33uV/K
Copper - Sn42/Bi57.6/Ag0.4 -> 4.43uV/K (thanks to Herbert)
Copper - Sn100C (Sn-Cu-Ni+Ge) -> 3.45uV/K (thanks to Dan)

Copper - Brass -> 3.30uV/K

The best one keeps to be the Pb92.5/Sn5/Ag2.5, the best between the lead
free ones is the Sn95.5/Ag3.8/Cu0.7.

If someone has other alloys to suggest me to test I'll be happy to do it
(I have just ordered the Sn97/Cu3 to see if higher copper content is
relevant).

I'll be very happy to pass all the samples to a fellow who wish to repeat
the experiment, provide that he/she will post results here and in turn, will
pass everything to the second one who will do the same.

Andrea