[volt-nuts] Thermal EMF of common solder

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Sun Jun 26 13:24:01 EDT 2016

On 6/26/2016 9:12 AM, Andrea Baldoni wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I measured the thermal EMF of two common solder, the lead free
> Sn96.5/Ag3/Cu0.5 and the old Sn60/Pb40.
> I have ordered a spool of Sn96/Ag4 (the recommended low-thermal-EMF replacement
> for cadmium based one) and I will post the result for this too.
> I could probably find also Sn97/Ag3 and Sn97/Cu3 if it's reasonable to check
> them; I accept suggestion on what else to try between the RoHS complaint ones.
>
> Copper - Sn96.5/Ag3/Cu0.5 -> 3.4uV^C
> Copper - Sn60/Pb40 -> 3.3uV^C
>
> Best regards,
>  Andrea Baldoni
Andrea,

Thanks for this.

I suspect that if you contact any of the solder manufacturers,
particularly Indium Corp. or Kester and explain what you are doing,
they'll happily provide samples.

Sn96.5/Ag3.0/Cu0.5 is also commonly known as SAC 305

Sn95.5/Ag4/Cu0.5 is similarly known as SAC 405

Oz (in DFW, Texas, US)

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net
Oz
POB 93167