[volt-nuts] Load Testing a PSU

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Tue May 17 14:39:18 EDT 2016

This is a good and certainly inexpensive way to do a static load test
on a power supply. In the past, I used four very large, low-value,
wirewound power resistors in parallel to do this.

For more money, but much more capability, you can get a dynamic DC
load.  A dynamic load will let you test various current draws on a
power supply, do a transient-response test,  test the capacity of
batteries, test solar panels, etc.

The least expensive, but most involved method is to build one. There
are lots of plans on the 'net.

The next step up is a West Mountain Radio CBA IV. They sell it mainly
for testing batteries, but it can do more.

For even more money, you can buy a Maynuo M9812 or similar benchtop
unit. These can be used via a front panel keyboard as well as
controlled from a computer via serial/USB. Software comes with the
interface cable, which is usually an option.

I have both the CBA IV and the Maynuo and can recommend either.

Joe Gray
W5JG