[volt-nuts] PCBs with ceramic substrates

John Devereux john at devereux.me.uk
Sun Apr 16 07:08:07 EDT 2017

Hi Chuck

But the context is "PCBs with ceramic substrates". Are any of *those*
tough? They may well be, perhaps you know of some? It does not help us
with the subject much if there are ceramics with these amazing
properties if they are not available as PCBs.

There is also the question of exactly what properties of FR4 are
limiting for "metrology" use.

John

Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com> writes:

> Simple, ceramic is a generic term, like car.
>
> And, ceramic substrates are available in all manner
> of different thicknesses, densities, and materials.
>
> Like every other engineering material, you decide what
> characteristics are important to you, and you pick the
> appropriate material that meets those characteristics.
>
> If you work outside of the envelope of that material's
> capabilities, the results will be disappointing.
>
> You were opining that ceramic was too brittle, and
> breakable and shouldn't be used for metrology work, I
> disagreed, and attempted to enlighten you with tales of
> some ceramics that you would be hard pressed to break,
> even with repeated blows from a hammer.
>
> I could tell you of transparent ceramics that are
> amazingly hard, and strong.
>
> I could go further and tell of other ceramics where you
> can crumble brick sized blocks with light finger pressure.
>
> And I could tell you of still other ceramics that you can
> heat white hot with a torch, and then in a fraction of a
> second, press the glowing section against your arm without
> it even feeling warm.
>
> Which could lead some to say: ceramics are cool!
>
> But as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you
> cannot make him drink.
>
> -Chuck Harris
>
> cheater00 cheater00 wrote:
>> What can account for this difference between your and my experience
>> and what Chuck said?

John Devereux