[volt-nuts] Update on 720A

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 10:39:44 EDT 2017

Chuck,

I totally get your point that ideally you should use any KVD in null-balance mode.  I do note however that you can load it up to 11mA without damage though I've not once gone anywhere near that (worst case insult has been about 0.1mA).   However it does also say that to avoid loading errors you should load with an impedance >= 1TeraOhm (10**12).

Clearly a 3458A on the 10V and lower ranges is merely > 10GOhm and will show loading effects.

So, yes, I do recognise I was "doing it wrong"!

I don't believe I've inflicted any damage, and have managed to restore it to a useable state from a fairly sorry condition:   When I got it, two oil bath resistors were *way* off value (202 and 100 ohms low respectively), and the S2 shunt resistors were about 1.3 ohms high which was far enough off to prevent S2 calibration.   There were were also sundry other problems like two open circuits in the final decade, a badly worn trim pot, and sundry wires broken at solder joints.

Ideally I'd like to replace the KVD "Bridge Balance" pot as that's a bit noisy but shudder to think what that might cost if I could even find one.

Cheers
Dave