[volt-nuts] Update on 720A

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Tue Aug 8 13:00:39 EDT 2017

David:

    I had the same problem as you when I got my used 720A years ago.  Both
the "A" and "B" decade had a few resistors that had changed over the years.
I don't think as bad as you experienced but still they would not balance
within the range of the adjustment pots.  So I "adjusted" those that needed
correcting with either parallel or series resistors as necessary.  I used
the best tolerance resistors I could get at that time.  I figured that the
"adjustment" resistors were such a small amount of the resistors I was
trying to adjust, that the TC wouldn't be much of a problem.  However I did
have to go through these "adjustments" several times as I noticed that
correcting one would then affect others in the string.  This is probably
what you are experiencing with needing to "readjust" others again.  A few
passes in each string finally got the adjustments into a good range and they
have stayed there for years now.  As far as I am concerned this is all "good
enough" for hobbyists or VoltNuts who don't want to spend $5,000 or more to
get FLUKE to refurbish your instrument, if FLUKE is even interested in doing
the job and has the parts.  Notice that some resistors in the "A" and "B"
decades are selected at the factory anyhow.  If you have the money, then be
a "purest".  It might be cheaper just to buy a new 720A.

    As you realize now the 720A input resistance is 100k.  So you will get a
small voltage drop from the voltage source to the input of the 720A,
depending upon the size of the wire you are using.  Of course the proper way
to insure that there is no drop is to use Kelvin connections from the
voltage source to the input of the 720A and then set the voltage source to
external Kelvin sensing.  What I usually do is to set the ratio dials to
.999999X and then set the voltage supply to get exactly 10.0000000 on my
3458A.  Then you have the best chance to get an idea of the accuracy of the
720A ratio at .8, .7, .6 and so on.  Don't let the 3458A autorange when down
to the 0.1 ratio!  Then to minimize the effects of the "B" decade, use
.899999X, .799999X down to .099999X.  The only problem with this method is
that you don't get to check the .9 ratio.  So what you can do is connect the
voltage source to the "1.1" input, set the ratio dials to 1.0000000 and then
set the voltage source to give you 10.0000000 volts on the DVM.  Now you can
check the .9000000, .8000000 and so on ratios.

    I am sure that I did the R203 adjustment as described in paragraph 4-25
of the manual.  It has been years now.

    All IMHO of course.  You are now down into measurement "mud" so to
speak.  This is probably why the 3458A development team used the JJA at
Loveland to check the overall linearity of the 3458A A/D.  The 720A (or
equivalent) wasn't good enough at 0.1 ppm!

Bill