[volt-nuts] Update on 720A

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Aug 10 16:24:45 EDT 2017

Interesting.  The R302 and R311 that have lowered in value,
are each comprised of 4x 2.474K wire wound resistors,
and are each in the middle of a series string of the same
sized resistors.

I suppose one could over dissipate them, but being in oil,
that would be pretty hard.

The part that bothers me is the lowering of resistance.

I don't believe that the contacts to the wire improved with
overload, so that leaves shorts between turns, and changes
in the bulk resistance of the resistance wire... maybe the
difference between hard and annealed wire?

There appears to be a switch bank position that will put all
of the power going into the 1.0 input out the LOW output
through the two damaged resistors, R302 and R311, their
trimmers, and R1008, and R1044, and nothing else.  I think
It is 9.001.  It would, I think, require the calibrator to
have its low terminal grounded, and the KVD's low terminal
also grounded.

It's kind of twisty and turny in the schematic, and I can't
spend a lot of time on it, but after a quick look, it looks
possible.

So, maybe it is simply abuse.

-Chuck Harris