[volt-nuts] Short term "standard" cell?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Mar 11 12:21:02 EST 2017

Hi Chris:

I think it was my Heathkit VTVM that said to get a fresh AA battery and use it as a 1.52 Volt standard to calibrate the
meter. An even better way was to use a Mercury coin cell since they were 1.35 volts and very stable.  They were used for
light meters and voltage references because of the very flat discharge curve.

But when you are looking for many more digits of accuracy/precision then a battery may not be the best choice since
pretty much everything will cause a variation.   Maybe in order of importance: temperature, atmospheric pressure,
humidity, impedance of measuring equipment, &Etc.

There are a few low cost voltage standards available where the maker has an HP 3458.  For example by Geller and Malone:
http://www.prc68.com/I/MTE.shtml#DCVR

The care and feeding of chemical standard cells is such a pain and they are inferior to the modern electronic standards
so they have become obsolete.  The label on my Eppley shows 5 digits (4 printed and the last hand written).  Note since
there's liquid involved there is also an "Up" direction.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Eppley.html#Standard_Cell

http://www.prc68.com/I/Fluke332B.html

--
Have Fun,