[volt-nuts] Short term "standard" cell?

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Sat Mar 11 13:39:46 EST 2017

On 03/11/2017 11:51 AM, kc9ieq via volt-nuts wrote:
> In preparation of (hopefully!) Getting that fluke 332A running and
> sticker shock of what the 732A and similar references go for, I
> wonder about normal, every day alkaline or lithium batteries and
> their short term stability. Â Here's the half baked idea. Â A fresh,
> standard 1.5V, or 3V lithium, alkaline, or silver oxide button cell
> battery, or even an AA sized cell, measured by someone/some place
> with a known accurate precision meter. Â Invisioning 6 or so decimal
> places. Â Could that cell then be shipped, and used as a reference in
> another altitude? Â I haven't spent a ton of time looking, but
> haven't yet found anything on the web about stability of these types
> of batteries. Regards,

A silver oxide battery might give you a decimal point of long term
stability.

For just a few dollars more you can get a real reference

http://www.voltagestandard.com/

I've had a VREF5-01 for 5 or 6 years now.  It continues to read 5.0000
on my 5.5 digit Fluke.  I use it to check my portable DVMs.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN