[volt-nuts] Banana jack shorting straps

Don@True-Cal truecalservices at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 16:06:12 EST 2017

For all of the instruments I referenced, including the Fluke 8508A by inference of the Fluke short model number, it is much more about controlling or minimizing Seebeck EMF. For the low end resistance ranges on these instruments, far greater error is introduced from thermal EMF than from the absolute trace resistance of the board. That said, the 8508A-7000K board has thick, wide traces on BOTH sides for the current and sense terminals and a smaller trace bridging sense to current. A more compelling test might be to measure and record sub-microvolts changes over time with air currents on the terminals. If this test was repeated using the solid copper S-shaped 4W short suggested for the 3458A calibration, I would guess that the solid wire might take more time to come to thermal equilibrium with the terminals. I may give it a try.
Don