[volt-nuts] Best way to measure micro Ohms

Andre Andre at Lanoe.net
Wed Sep 20 03:53:58 EDT 2017

Hi, just my $0.02 worth.
I have some instrumentation amplifiers here also looked into low resistance connections for my other projects.

If I recall correctly you need to look at the electrochemical series. For interconnects on Al you want a metal similar on the ES.
The oxide is a problem but if you connect it properly eg with an oil droplet and clamp connnector using compatible vernier it should be fine.

Looking at how wiring in the US is done might give you some ideas.

Kind regards, -Andre
From: volt-nuts <volt-nuts-bounces at febo.com> on behalf of Charles Steinmetz <csteinmetz at yandex.com>
Sent: 19 September 2017 21:30
To: Discussion of precise voltage measurement
Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] Best way to measure micro Ohms

David wrote:

> A practical problem is the tools available to me. The U-channel was
> machined by someone in my radio club, and the rest I made myself using
> nothing more than a drill and hand tools. It would be nice to make more out
> of one piece, but it would require better tools than I have readily
> available. There are certainly engineering companies that could do a better
> job, but it would be quite costly.

If you can make a decent drawing of what you need (it doesn't have to be
a draughtsmanlike job, as long as the form and measurements are clearly
shown), I bet you can find someone in your radio club, or a personal
friend, or someone on a list you frequent to make it for a nominal cost
(you would probably need to pay for the raw material, although I don't
charge for anything that comes out of my scrap pile and this is true of
many other home shop machinists).  HSMs are behind every third or fourth
garage door in the UK.

Another option would be to build up the parts as you have done, then
have someone TIG weld the pieces together.

Best regards,

Charles