[volt-nuts] Best way to measure micro Ohms

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Wed Sep 20 09:49:19 EDT 2017

Aluminum...

Even with everything done right, with approved hardware, aluminum wiring
will tend to 'creep' (Aluminum mushing out of the way of the lug screw
or clamp.

Just recently I checked the main lugs on my 150A garage sub panel, and
sure enough the neutral lug was loose. This was about 8 years after
installation, with virtually no use (only one circuit used for lights
until now.)

However I believe this is only a problem with the softer grades of
aluminum. If your enclosure were out of 7075, or 2024 my guess is you
wouldn't see aluminum creep at all. 6061-T6 or similar would probably be
OK also. It's the soft stuff that moves easily. They all form the oxide
layer, so that's still a problem...

In a pinch, I may be able to machine something, but shipping to there
from here is probably expensive...

Dan