[volt-nuts] Power consumption of 3458A reference board / fittingone in a 3457A

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 16:31:00 EDT 2017

On 24 September 2017 at 08:52, Bill Gold <wpgold3637 at att.net> wrote:

> David:
>
>     Your answer to question #1.  I have a spare reference board setup to be
> powered up on the bench.
>
>     I measure around 36 ma when it starts cold and then around 30 ma when
> it
> warms up to operating temp.  This is at 18 volts.
>
>     Of course this is in an enclosed, insulated box.  If the LTZ 1000
> starts
> to cool off then the current goes up again.
>
> Bill

Thank you. That's interesting. Ignoring the warmup time, which would be a
small fraction of 48 hours, if one assumes 30 mA for 48 hours, that's 1440
mA hr. So 15 x 1.2 V Nickel Metal Hydride  AA cells would easily do that,
as they are available up to about 2400 mA hr.  It means it is practical put
a 3458A reference board in a box, and ship it to someone else for measuring
whilst keeping is powered up in transit.

Dave