[volt-nuts] Help needed identifying triaxial connector on HP 4339B high resistance meter - measures to 1.6 x 10^16 ohms.

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Feb 17 10:32:15 EST 2018

I bought an HP 4339B high resistance meter. It is designed to measure high
resistances (as the name suggests) and also low currents. It is essentially
a variable voltage source up to 1000 V, and a low current ammeter.

I got it from eBay, as non-working, with no output voltage. After paying
for it, I thought I had bought a lemon, as it became apparent the seller
had more than one of these, and his lab had switched parts to try to get
one working. I thought I was going to end up with a paperweight.

Unable to do any tests on it due to lack of suitable connectors, I took
Keysight (UK) up on the offer of a free technical evaluation of this -
Keysight even pay the shipping charges! Much to my surprise, they sent me a
4 page technical report

http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/tmp/Measurement-report-As-received_1-9690444179-1.pdf

with far more useful information than on most cal certificates I have seen.

I don't think this is a full calibration, as resistance measurements are
only made with voltages up to 100 V, and the highest resistance used is
only 10^11 ohms. But the report shows.

* The output voltage is working, and within the specification. This was
nice, as I was told there was no output.

* Resistance measurements are within specification too, although I suspect
the meter has not been pushed to its limits on this free technical
evaluation.

* Current measurements are a bit out of spec. A test current of 10 nA,
there's an error of about 0.082 nA, but the specification is an error of
0.063 nA or less.

Given it works to some extent, I thought I'd pay Keysight for a full
calibration, to find just how good/bad it really is. Keysight have it now,
and I expect to get it back next week, with a full calibration report.

In order to use the meter, I would obviously need to be able to make
connections to it.

Is there anyone here that knows what the triaxial (tri-axial?) connector in
the attached pictures ? One picture is of the female on the 4339B and the
other the male plug on a fixture that I don't have.

The picture of the meter is not the one I have,  since the meter is at
Keysight. But it has a better picture of the triaxial connector than the
meter I have.

Does anyone have a bit of trixial cable with one of these connectors on?

I stuck a bit more information about this on the Keysight multimeter forum,

https://community.keysight.com/thread/26937

but there have been no replies on there. I don't know if is considered a
multimeter or not. Maybe the people that read that forum don't support this
meter.

https://community.keysight.com/thread/26937

Dave