[volt-nuts] HP3458 ADC integrator

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Feb 23 12:31:47 EST 2018

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:14:28 -0000
"David C. Partridge" <david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk> wrote:

> The April 1989 HP Journal is mostly dedicated to the 3458A and there's an
> article about the dual slope integrator starting on page 8.
>
> There's also a nice discussion about it in Art of Electronics 3rd Edition
> starting on page 918

The HP journal does only mentions a single opamp integrator. The Art
of electronics only deals with the close relative used in the HP 34420,
which is similar, but not the same. It uses a two opamp structure,
which TAoE3 explains to be to increase amplification and slewrate.
I guess that can be said about the HP3458 as well, but that begs the
question why did they chose a 3 opamp structure? And why are U2 and U3
wired up the way they are?

				Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.