[volt-nuts] What's the probability of a random used 3458A passing a Keysight calibration?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 16:56:02 EST 2018

There's an "interesting" $5400 buy-it-now on eBay at the minute. It's
described as "Agilent 3458A 8.5 digit Multimeter CALIBRATED".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agilent-3458A-8-5-Digit-Multimeter-CALIBRATED/
232593692038

When one reads the description, one can see it is an HP (not Agilent) 3458A,
that was sent to Keysight for calibration, but *failed* on the 3 V 4 MHz AC
voltage. Apparently it passed on everything else. Personally I would sell
that as "spares or repair" rather than "used" and "CALIBRATED", but
different people have different ideas of what is good or not.

Out of interest, I asked the seller what Keysight had quoted to repair
this. He said 2100 Euros, (which about $2600 USD or £1900 GBP). So to get
it in shape, it is not exactly peanuts.

The seller said to me that he has a *lot* of experience of 3458As, and
knows that a used one has less than a 50% chance of passing a Keysight
calibration. I wonder if that's the experience of others that have bought
used 3458As and sent them to Keysight. If true, and I ever buy a 3458A, I
think I would only buy one on the condition that the seller  sends it to
Keysight, I pay the calibration cost, but if it fails, I get a full refund,
including the calibration cost.

I can understand a meter going out of spec over time, but if it can't be
sorted out without thousands of dollars spent on it, then it is not such a
good buy. But are more than 50% of 3458As like this?

Dave

Dr David Kirkby Ph.D C.Eng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
6DT, United Kingdom
Registered in England and Wales as company number 08914892
http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Tel 01621'680100 / +44 1621-680100