[volt-nuts] Bohnenberger electrometer DANGER

Andre Andre at Lanoe.net
Wed Mar 7 01:29:26 EST 2018

Please be VERY VERY careful. To be honest its far safer to use CCFL drivers and rectify them with camera diodes in series and the absolute minimum capacitance for the job, shunted with a high value resistor.
I have a few inverters , 10M resistor packs and diode strips here if anyone has a use on the understanding they are only to be used at your own risk, and for the intended purpose.

Microwave capacitors can be deadly (you could DIE!) under the wrong circumstances, fibrillation can occur even with quite small shocks down to <8J if you get hit badly or have an undetected problem. I don't want to scare people but it is a serious risk.
Had to scale back one of my projects because I had a near miss with a setup very much like the one described  in earlier posts and despite dual failsafes still got a belt large enough to require medical treatment.
(hint: the experiment is on Youtube, saying no more)
Very fortunately my systems weren't seriously affected but I probably did some damage.

Still have a 380J 215uF/2.5KV capacitor here and that one is staying shunted and under lock and key until I have the appropriate safety knowledge and experience. Dielectric memory is a b*t*h!

-A

From: volt-nuts <volt-nuts-bounces at febo.com> on behalf of ed breya <eb at telight.com>
Sent: 07 March 2018 00:11
To: volt-nuts at febo.com
Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] Bohnenberger electrometer

I looked at that link that Brooke put up about Bohnenberger's
Electroscope. I don't know what your specific arrangement needs to be,
but it appears you need a plus and a minus HV wrt ground in the most
general form. If so, then this would mean having to split the voltage of
a single cap, or have two caps, one for each polarity.  Then I'd
recommend using good old microwave oven caps. You could charge them both
to say 2 kV from one HV source, then switch them around so they're
stacked and grounded at the midpoint.

Ed