[volt-nuts] Help needed identifying triaxial connector on HP 4339B high resistance meter - measures to 1.6 x 10^16 ohms.

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 16:25:31 EDT 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 15:27, Jerry Hancock <jerry at hanler.com> wrote:

> what others do is just buy the available Trompeter triax connector and
> file-off the host connector pins.  I went through all the trouble to get
> the right connectors and then looked at my Electrometer and saw someone had
> already filed off the extra pins leaving one.  I was a upset on many levels
> as I would never file off anything on a piece of test equipment, except may
> the RIGOL label.
>
> look for an eBay seller n2cbu.  Great guy, sent me extra connectors and
> cable.  The biggest challenge in making your own cables is the fit between
> the connector and cable.  There are about a dozen types of triax connectors
> for the same number of cables.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry

Thank you Jerry,

The idea of destroying an instrument to make the socket fit a plug is one I
would not do!

Worst case, on a cheap and nasty bit of kit, I might consider changing the
socket for triaxial BNC, but I have no desire whatsoever to do that on the
4339B, which sell for several thousands of dollars. I have already sent the
meter once to Keysight for calibration, which they can obviously do if it
has the right connector on it. If one started changing the connectors, then
it would never get calibrated again. Depending on the age/value/rarity of
the connector, I might consider other options, but not this time.

On Monday I should have a partially complete Agilent 16339A component test
fixture

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agilent-16339A-Component-Test-Fixture/112871963210

arrive. (It cost me $400, which is more than the $350 I paid for the
meter). That fixture will have the correct plug on it. HOPEFULLY there will
be a manufacturer and part number on the plug. Also, I will have the
ability to take a decent photo, so hopefully someone experienced has more
chance of being able to positively identify the connector. I might try
asking Keysight again. They told me the interlock connector was a Hirose,
and knowing that I managed to work out a plug that fits.

I've bought a couple of 4349Bs, which are quad channel high-resistance
meters that take the same CPU as my 4339B. I'm hoping to do a bit of
transplant surgery and hopefully get my 4339B to the point it can be
calibrated properly - Keysight were unable to adjust it before as the CPU
board apparently has a fault which is stopping the EEPROM being updated.

When sent back to Keysight, it will have a 'heat transplant' of a CPU, and
a new EEPROM, so all calibration data will be missing, as that's stored in
the EEPROM. I'm pleased to say Keysight are not going to charge any extra
to calibrate the meter with a blank EEPROM. So hopefully I will get this
meter right.

Dave