volt-nuts@lists.febo.com

Discussion of precise voltage measurement

View all threads

Diplay off command for HP3458

AK
Attila Kinali
Wed, Apr 21, 2021 12:34 PM

Moin,

I am doing some long term measurment with my HP3458. In order
to not unnecessarily tax the display, I want to switch it off.
But none of the commands or command sequences I found online,
or any combination or variation thereof, would switch it off completely. At best I get a ------ displayed.

Would someone be so kind and tell me what the magic incantation
should be?

		Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always

Moin, I am doing some long term measurment with my HP3458. In order to not unnecessarily tax the display, I want to switch it off. But none of the commands or command sequences I found online, or any combination or variation thereof, would switch it off completely. At best I get a ------ displayed. Would someone be so kind and tell me what the magic incantation should be? Attila Kinali -- The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?" There are things we don't understand and things we always wonder about. And that's why we do research. -- Kobayashi Makoto
PK
Poul-Henning Kamp
Wed, Apr 21, 2021 12:37 PM

Attila Kinali writes:

You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be spaces,
can't remember to command right of my head.

There is no way to turn the display "really" off.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp      | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk@FreeBSD.ORG        | TCP/IP since RFC 956

-------- Attila Kinali writes: You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be spaces, can't remember to command right of my head. There is no way to turn the display "really" off. -- Poul-Henning Kamp | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20 phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956 FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.
AK
Attila Kinali
Wed, Apr 21, 2021 12:39 PM

Hoi Poul-Henning,

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:37:13 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" phk@phk.freebsd.dk wrote:

You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be spaces,
can't remember to command right of my head.

There is no way to turn the display "really" off.

Yes, that's what I am currently doing:
cmd(pm, "DISP OFF,'    '")

(I even think that line came from one of your scripts)

		Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always
wonder about. And that's why we do research.
-- Kobayashi Makoto

Hoi Poul-Henning, On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:37:13 +0000 "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote: > You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be spaces, > can't remember to command right of my head. > > There is no way to turn the display "really" off. Yes, that's what I am currently doing: cmd(pm, "DISP OFF,\' \'") (I even think that line came from one of your scripts) Attila Kinali -- The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?" There are things we don't understand and things we always wonder about. And that's why we do research. -- Kobayashi Makoto
DJ
Didier Juges
Thu, Apr 22, 2021 1:01 PM

In my experience, most of the wear comes from segments that are
activated, but the rest of the display still degrades.

I used VFDs (New Haven Displays,
https://www.newhavendisplay.com/m0216sd162sdar21-p-2076.html) on a piece of
equipment we started shipping in 2000. We shipped 2-3 dozens over 5 years.
They are still used. Under normal conditions, 4 digits are used in the
middle of a 16 character line, 24/7/52 (except for a handful of spares).
When these units come back for service, you can clearly tell the difference
between those 4 digits and the others, but compared to a new one, I would
guess the rest degrades about half as fast as the digits that are used. The
biggest difference is that the digits that are used are dim and blotchy
while the rest is less dim and still pretty uniform. We replace the
displays when they are too bad (up to the service tech unless the customer
specifically asked for it), even though the units are mostly remote
operated so the display is not crucial, unless they have issues
requiring operating the unit locally. We started replacing them about 5-7
years after shipping the first ones.

Didier KO4BB

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 7:38 AM Poul-Henning Kamp phk@phk.freebsd.dk
wrote:

Attila Kinali writes:

You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be
spaces,
can't remember to command right of my head.

There is no way to turn the display "really" off.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp      | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk@FreeBSD.ORG        | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer      | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

To unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there.

In my experience, most of the wear comes from segments that are activated, but the rest of the display still degrades. I used VFDs (New Haven Displays, https://www.newhavendisplay.com/m0216sd162sdar21-p-2076.html) on a piece of equipment we started shipping in 2000. We shipped 2-3 dozens over 5 years. They are still used. Under normal conditions, 4 digits are used in the middle of a 16 character line, 24/7/52 (except for a handful of spares). When these units come back for service, you can clearly tell the difference between those 4 digits and the others, but compared to a new one, I would guess the rest degrades about half as fast as the digits that are used. The biggest difference is that the digits that are used are dim and blotchy while the rest is less dim and still pretty uniform. We replace the displays when they are too bad (up to the service tech unless the customer specifically asked for it), even though the units are mostly remote operated so the display is not crucial, unless they have issues requiring operating the unit locally. We started replacing them about 5-7 years after shipping the first ones. Didier KO4BB On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 7:38 AM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote: > -------- > Attila Kinali writes: > > You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be > spaces, > can't remember to command right of my head. > > There is no way to turn the display "really" off. > > -- > Poul-Henning Kamp | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20 > phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956 > FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe > Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence. > _______________________________________________ > volt-nuts mailing list -- volt-nuts@lists.febo.com -- To unsubscribe send > an email to volt-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there. >
Andre
Thu, Apr 22, 2021 4:57 PM

Intriguing. I had an email about a modification of a 2W M140 as a way to repair broken VFDs.
Might work but the older displays may be better, as there are gaps in the grids that a laser beam can shine through.

I would guess that if it does work, its by spot heating of the phosphor.

wrote:

Attila Kinali writes:

You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be
spaces,
can't remember to command right of my head.

There is no way to turn the display "really" off.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp      | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk@FreeBSD.ORG        | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer      | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

To unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there.

To unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there.

Intriguing. I had an email about a modification of a 2W M140 as a way to repair broken VFDs. Might work but the older displays may be better, as there are gaps in the grids that a laser beam can shine through. I would guess that if it does work, its by spot heating of the phosphor. ________________________________________ From: Didier Juges <shalimr9@gmail.com> Sent: 22 April 2021 14:01 To: Discussion of precise voltage measurement Subject: [volt-nuts] Re: Diplay off command for HP3458 In my experience, most of the wear comes from segments that are activated, but the rest of the display still degrades. I used VFDs (New Haven Displays, https://www.newhavendisplay.com/m0216sd162sdar21-p-2076.html) on a piece of equipment we started shipping in 2000. We shipped 2-3 dozens over 5 years. They are still used. Under normal conditions, 4 digits are used in the middle of a 16 character line, 24/7/52 (except for a handful of spares). When these units come back for service, you can clearly tell the difference between those 4 digits and the others, but compared to a new one, I would guess the rest degrades about half as fast as the digits that are used. The biggest difference is that the digits that are used are dim and blotchy while the rest is less dim and still pretty uniform. We replace the displays when they are too bad (up to the service tech unless the customer specifically asked for it), even though the units are mostly remote operated so the display is not crucial, unless they have issues requiring operating the unit locally. We started replacing them about 5-7 years after shipping the first ones. Didier KO4BB On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 7:38 AM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote: > -------- > Attila Kinali writes: > > You can tell it to display a particular string, and that string can be > spaces, > can't remember to command right of my head. > > There is no way to turn the display "really" off. > > -- > Poul-Henning Kamp | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20 > phk@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956 > FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe > Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence. > _______________________________________________ > volt-nuts mailing list -- volt-nuts@lists.febo.com -- To unsubscribe send > an email to volt-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there. > _______________________________________________ volt-nuts mailing list -- volt-nuts@lists.febo.com -- To unsubscribe send an email to volt-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there.