time-nuts@lists.febo.com

Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

View all threads

GPSDO replacement recommendation

DG
David G. McGaw
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 5:05 PM

Indeed.  I state the limits.  I have a number of packaged Samsungs from
amoj1010 (apparently no longer available) that the internal regulator
was set at around 6V.  The module was working but had the Power Fail
light on.  Sweeping their limits, the Power Fail light will be set below
5.0V and above 5.5V.  I changed the resistors on the supplying regulator
to give 5.25V.

Ours use a RPi3 host running Lady Heather for monitoring.  See
https://hamsci.org/publications/traveling-ionospheric-disturbances-observed-using-doppler-measurements-clear%E2%80%90channel-am,
PDF of the presentation at the bottom.

73,

David N1HAC

On 4/15/24 12:04 PM, Wilko Bulte wrote:

[You don't often get email from wkb@xs4all.nl. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

hello David,

Both Samsung UCCM I own are not satisfied with a 5 V supply, the need 5.5 V. So I advise a bit more than 5 V. There is a LDO on the Samsung UCCM so it will do its own onboard power cleanup.

One of them is equipped with a OrangePi (RaspberryPi lookalike) which runs Linux with LadyHeather. This makes for a standalone unit that, once connected to the LAN, can be monitored via the network/LH.

For a house standard this works quite nicely, not needing an always-on PC, but rather a low power *Pi taking care of the monitoring chores.

Wilko PA1WBU

On 15 Apr 2024, at 17:30, David G. McGaw via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

The only caution for the Samsung version is it has a bit different serial protocol, but Lady Heather version 6.14 knows how to talk to it.  There is also a patch that helps - grounding pin 39 of the 50-pin connector to sync to the internal GPS PPS (this is true of all versions).  The Samsung is also very critical for supply voltage, 5V min, 5.5V max, to keep the power fail light off.  I have several of all versions.

David N1HAC

On 4/15/24 8:43 AM, Wilko Bulte via time-nuts wrote:
another option would be a Furuno GF-8705

 ogp.png
 [1]GF-8705 from FURUNO ELECTRIC (Multi-GNSS Disciplined Oscillator)
 [2]qzss.go.jp

 I obtained one for €40. It has a sensitive GPS rx, is fast to acquire
 lock and is a compact, even smaller than the UCCM. For those that care:
 it sports a programmable clock output too.

 Downside: LH does not know about it. There is free Furuno software to
 program and monitor it.

 hth,

 Wilko

   On 15 Apr 2024, at 14:12, Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> wrote:

 hi Atilla,
 Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but
 sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with
 signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to
 acquire lock.
 I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble
 and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay.
 hth,
 Wilko

   On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts
   <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote:

   Moin,

   My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking
   for a

   replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current
   state

   of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current
   recommendation

   for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

   Thanks in advance

             Attila Kinali

   --

   Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious

   after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes

Indeed.  I state the limits.  I have a number of packaged Samsungs from amoj1010 (apparently no longer available) that the internal regulator was set at around 6V.  The module was working but had the Power Fail light on.  Sweeping their limits, the Power Fail light will be set below 5.0V and above 5.5V.  I changed the resistors on the supplying regulator to give 5.25V. Ours use a RPi3 host running Lady Heather for monitoring.  See <https://hamsci.org/publications/traveling-ionospheric-disturbances-observed-using-doppler-measurements-clear%E2%80%90channel-am>, PDF of the presentation at the bottom. 73, David N1HAC On 4/15/24 12:04 PM, Wilko Bulte wrote: > [You don't often get email from wkb@xs4all.nl. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ] > > hello David, > > Both Samsung UCCM I own are not satisfied with a 5 V supply, the need 5.5 V. So I advise a bit more than 5 V. There is a LDO on the Samsung UCCM so it will do its own onboard power cleanup. > > One of them is equipped with a OrangePi (RaspberryPi lookalike) which runs Linux with LadyHeather. This makes for a standalone unit that, once connected to the LAN, can be monitored via the network/LH. > > For a house standard this works quite nicely, not needing an always-on PC, but rather a low power *Pi taking care of the monitoring chores. > > Wilko PA1WBU > >> On 15 Apr 2024, at 17:30, David G. McGaw via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> >> The only caution for the Samsung version is it has a bit different serial protocol, but Lady Heather version 6.14 knows how to talk to it. There is also a patch that helps - grounding pin 39 of the 50-pin connector to sync to the internal GPS PPS (this is true of all versions). The Samsung is also very critical for supply voltage, 5V min, 5.5V max, to keep the power fail light off. I have several of all versions. >> >> David N1HAC >> >>> On 4/15/24 8:43 AM, Wilko Bulte via time-nuts wrote: >>> another option would be a Furuno GF-8705 >>> >>> ogp.png >>> [1]GF-8705 from FURUNO ELECTRIC (Multi-GNSS Disciplined Oscillator) >>> [2]qzss.go.jp >>> >>> I obtained one for €40. It has a sensitive GPS rx, is fast to acquire >>> lock and is a compact, even smaller than the UCCM. For those that care: >>> it sports a programmable clock output too. >>> >>> Downside: LH does not know about it. There is free Furuno software to >>> program and monitor it. >>> >>> hth, >>> >>> Wilko >>> >>> On 15 Apr 2024, at 14:12, Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> wrote: >>> >>> hi Atilla, >>> Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but >>> sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with >>> signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to >>> acquire lock. >>> I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble >>> and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. >>> hth, >>> Wilko >>> >>> On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts >>> <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >>> >>> Moin, >>> >>> My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking >>> for a >>> >>> replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current >>> state >>> >>> of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current >>> recommendation >>> >>> for getting a GPSDO is, these days. >>> >>> Thanks in advance >>> >>> Attila Kinali >>> >>> -- >>> >>> Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious >>> >>> after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> >>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >>> >>> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >>> >>> >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >>> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
DT
David Taylor
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 6:07 PM

On 14/04/2024 13:24, Attila Kinali via time-nuts wrote:

Moin,

My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a
replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state
of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation
for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

Thanks in advance

		Attila Kinali

Leo Bodnar has a 1 Hz to 1.6 GHz unit:

https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=393

The unit now has firmware allowing operation up to 1.6 GHz, even though the
data sheet says 1.1 GHz.

Not an expensive unit, and very versatile.

Cheers,
David

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com
Twitter: @gm8arv

On 14/04/2024 13:24, Attila Kinali via time-nuts wrote: > Moin, > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a > replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state > of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation > for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > Thanks in advance > > Attila Kinali Leo Bodnar has a 1 Hz to 1.6 GHz unit: https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=393 The unit now has firmware allowing operation up to 1.6 GHz, even though the data sheet says 1.1 GHz. Not an expensive unit, and very versatile. Cheers, David -- SatSignal Software - Quality software for you Web: https://www.satsignal.eu Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com Twitter: @gm8arv
glenlist
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 7:16 PM

How about the Jackson Labs offerings - Fury and Firefly ? I believe
they've recently been respun.

I've used those.

On 14/04/2024 11:53 pm, Bob Camp via time-nuts wrote:

Hi

Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well.

How about the Jackson Labs offerings - Fury and Firefly ? I believe they've recently been respun. I've used those. On 14/04/2024 11:53 pm, Bob Camp via time-nuts wrote: > Hi > > Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well. > >
AK
Attila Kinali
Wed, Apr 17, 2024 4:37 PM

Moin,

Thanks everyone who answered. All your suggestions have been noted!

I'd like to pick a few points out and comment on them, partially to explain
a bit what I'm doing and partially to give feedback to the group in general.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:33 -0400
Bob Camp via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices.  Each of them has
it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues.

If cost was no object, I'd go for a PolaRx5TR. But alas, I do not have
the small change to afford one of these. But I would definitely not say
no if someone at Septentrio would let me "borrow" one :-)

Yes, this is only a home lab (ok, a little bit more as I'm using it
for my scientific work as well, as my curent employer is very
very stingy when it comes to spending money on their scientists),
which means that I'm not going to spend thousands of euros on a nice
clock from Septentrio, Meinberg or SRS, even though I would like to.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:51:05 -0400
"David G. McGaw via time-nuts" time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

You might check the OCXO.  I recently repaired a Symmetricom UCCM that
the oscillator had died.  There are replacements available on-line and
there are footprints on the PCB to accommodate various versions.  The
only gotcha on the Symmetricom version was that it uses an oscillator
with 12V supply and 5V oscillators did not work. Had to replace with
same.  The others, Trimble and Samsung, use more generic 5V oscillators.

It's my second Trimble UCCM that died. And I guess it's the same failure
again: A dead reference in the OCXO. I could probably sit down and
get it working again. But I saw this as an opportunity to see whether
I can get something more up-to-date than an UCCM.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:07:03 +0100
David Taylor via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Leo Bodnar has a 1 Hz to 1.6 GHz unit:

The unit now has firmware allowing operation up to 1.6 GHz, even though the
data sheet says 1.1 GHz.

Not an expensive unit, and very versatile.

I looked at Leo's original design many years ago. I was not thrilled at what
I saw. While the design per se is ok for what it is intended: a cheap, kind
of accurate frequency source for the hobbyist who needs to calibrate his
3-digit counter or to set his kitchen clock. But it is no good for what
a time-nut needs. We have had many DIY designs coming through this list
that were much better fits for time-nuts. I'm quite fond of the very simple,
yet astonishingly performant design of Nick Sayer a couple of years ago.
And one cannot beat Lars Valenius' design for simplicity.

Overall, what I found on ebay & co doesn't look very enticing at the moment.
The prices are astonishingly high. Most GPSDO go for higher prices than
rubidium clocks would go for just 5 years ago. I'm not sure I want to pay
that much for a GPSDO of questionable origin.

		Attila Kinali

--
In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be doing it.

Moin, Thanks everyone who answered. All your suggestions have been noted! I'd like to pick a few points out and comment on them, partially to explain a bit what I'm doing and partially to give feedback to the group in general. On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:33 -0400 Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has > it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. If cost was no object, I'd go for a PolaRx5TR. But alas, I do not have the small change to afford one of these. But I would definitely not say no if someone at Septentrio would let me "borrow" one :-) Yes, this is only a home lab (ok, a little bit more as I'm using it for my scientific work as well, as my curent employer is very very stingy when it comes to spending money on their scientists), which means that I'm not going to spend thousands of euros on a nice clock from Septentrio, Meinberg or SRS, even though I would like to. On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:51:05 -0400 "David G. McGaw via time-nuts" <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > You might check the OCXO.  I recently repaired a Symmetricom UCCM that > the oscillator had died.  There are replacements available on-line and > there are footprints on the PCB to accommodate various versions.  The > only gotcha on the Symmetricom version was that it uses an oscillator > with 12V supply and 5V oscillators did not work. Had to replace with > same.  The others, Trimble and Samsung, use more generic 5V oscillators. It's my second Trimble UCCM that died. And I guess it's the same failure again: A dead reference in the OCXO. I could probably sit down and get it working again. But I saw this as an opportunity to see whether I can get something more up-to-date than an UCCM. On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:07:03 +0100 David Taylor via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > Leo Bodnar has a 1 Hz to 1.6 GHz unit: > > The unit now has firmware allowing operation up to 1.6 GHz, even though the > data sheet says 1.1 GHz. > > Not an expensive unit, and very versatile. I looked at Leo's original design many years ago. I was not thrilled at what I saw. While the design per se is ok for what it is intended: a cheap, kind of accurate frequency source for the hobbyist who needs to calibrate his 3-digit counter or to set his kitchen clock. But it is no good for what a time-nut needs. We have had many DIY designs coming through this list that were much better fits for time-nuts. I'm quite fond of the very simple, yet astonishingly performant design of Nick Sayer a couple of years ago. And one cannot beat Lars Valenius' design for simplicity. Overall, what I found on ebay & co doesn't look very enticing at the moment. The prices are astonishingly high. Most GPSDO go for higher prices than rubidium clocks would go for just 5 years ago. I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a GPSDO of questionable origin. Attila Kinali -- In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it. In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be doing it. -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering
JA
Jürgen Appel
Wed, Apr 17, 2024 7:38 PM

Hi,

That was also the behavior of my Bodnar Precision GPS reference clock (well, it’s actually not an error as the frequency was within specs, but the phase is not locked, as you would expect from a device marketed as a clock). I wrote them an email and only few days later received a firmware giving me a version with worse phase noise but phase tracking to GPS instead.

Cheers, Jürgen

Sent from my mobile device, please excuse my brevity.

On 16 Apr 2024, at 08.55, Jeremy Elson via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Does the BG7TBL unit still have a frequency error? Last time I tested one
of his units the frequency was wrong by about 1e-11 due to a software bug.
(Other people on the Internet have observed the same, e.g.
https://blog.febo.com/?p=636) I was briefly in contact with the designer
via email a couple years ago and he promised a fix but then stopped
replying to my emails.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:29 AM Zen via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com
wrote:

I have been doing an analysis of GPSDO's from the usual auction site.
These are usually coupled with a crystal I have done the $99.99 TM4313 one
and the BG7TBL (2019 version) $150.00. I have started to keep a spread
sheet of the Allen variance as well as the Pk-Pk deviation. The analysis
has been 100 Samples averaged with gate times of 0.01, .1, 1, 10, and 100
seconds. I have found them to wobble around 20uHz range and up in to the
low mHz (>9mHz) If there is a place I can post the Excel document I am
happy to do so.

Testing was done on a HP 53230A with an SRS FS725 as its time base. This
is backed up by a GPSDO 1pps -> FS725.
Warm up and settling times are as follows

FS725 - more than a month
HP 53230A - More than 1 Hour (Internal clock not used)
GPSDO under test - 24 Hours or more for stability

I will have videos about this testing on YouTube in a few weeks.

Eric

[...]

Hi, That was also the behavior of my Bodnar Precision GPS reference clock (well, it’s actually not an error as the frequency was within specs, but the phase is not locked, as you would expect from a device marketed as a clock). I wrote them an email and only few days later received a firmware giving me a version with worse phase noise but phase tracking to GPS instead. Cheers, Jürgen — Sent from my mobile device, please excuse my brevity. On 16 Apr 2024, at 08.55, Jeremy Elson via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: Does the BG7TBL unit still have a frequency error? Last time I tested one of his units the frequency was wrong by about 1e-11 due to a software bug. (Other people on the Internet have observed the same, e.g. https://blog.febo.com/?p=636) I was briefly in contact with the designer via email a couple years ago and he promised a fix but then stopped replying to my emails. > On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:29 AM Zen via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> > wrote: > > I have been doing an analysis of GPSDO's from the usual auction site. > These are usually coupled with a crystal I have done the $99.99 TM4313 one > and the BG7TBL (2019 version) $150.00. I have started to keep a spread > sheet of the Allen variance as well as the Pk-Pk deviation. The analysis > has been 100 Samples averaged with gate times of 0.01, .1, 1, 10, and 100 > seconds. I have found them to wobble around 20uHz range and up in to the > low mHz (>9mHz) If there is a place I can post the Excel document I am > happy to do so. > > Testing was done on a HP 53230A with an SRS FS725 as its time base. This > is backed up by a GPSDO 1pps -> FS725. > Warm up and settling times are as follows > > FS725 - more than a month > HP 53230A - More than 1 Hour (Internal clock not used) > GPSDO under test - 24 Hours or more for stability > > I will have videos about this testing on YouTube in a few weeks. > > Eric > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Wilko Bulte via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> > Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2024 4:06 PM > To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> > Cc: Attila Kinali <attila@kinali.ch>; Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> > Subject: [time-nuts] Re: GPSDO replacement recommendation > > hi Atilla, > > Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but > sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with signal > levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to acquire lock. > > I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble > and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. > > hth, > Wilko > >> On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> >> Moin, >> >> My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for >> a replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current >> state of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current >> recommendation for getting a GPSDO is, these days. >> >> Thanks in advance >> >> Attila Kinali >> >> -- >> Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious after they >> are explained. -- Pardot Kynes >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send >> an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an > email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com _______________________________________________ time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
BC
Bob Camp
Wed, Apr 17, 2024 7:42 PM

Hi

I think that there are a lot of us looking for a “really good deal” on a PolaRx5TR :) :) :)

Bob

On Apr 17, 2024, at 12:37 PM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

[...]

Hi I think that there are a lot of us looking for a “really good deal” on a PolaRx5TR :) :) :) Bob > On Apr 17, 2024, at 12:37 PM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Moin, > > Thanks everyone who answered. All your suggestions have been noted! > > I'd like to pick a few points out and comment on them, partially to explain > a bit what I'm doing and partially to give feedback to the group in general. > > On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:33 -0400 > Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >> If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has >> it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. > > If cost was no object, I'd go for a PolaRx5TR. But alas, I do not have > the small change to afford one of these. But I would definitely not say > no if someone at Septentrio would let me "borrow" one :-) > > Yes, this is only a home lab (ok, a little bit more as I'm using it > for my scientific work as well, as my curent employer is very > very stingy when it comes to spending money on their scientists), > which means that I'm not going to spend thousands of euros on a nice > clock from Septentrio, Meinberg or SRS, even though I would like to. > > On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:51:05 -0400 > "David G. McGaw via time-nuts" <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >> You might check the OCXO. I recently repaired a Symmetricom UCCM that >> the oscillator had died. There are replacements available on-line and >> there are footprints on the PCB to accommodate various versions. The >> only gotcha on the Symmetricom version was that it uses an oscillator >> with 12V supply and 5V oscillators did not work. Had to replace with >> same. The others, Trimble and Samsung, use more generic 5V oscillators. > > It's my second Trimble UCCM that died. And I guess it's the same failure > again: A dead reference in the OCXO. I could probably sit down and > get it working again. But I saw this as an opportunity to see whether > I can get something more up-to-date than an UCCM. > > On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:07:03 +0100 > David Taylor via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >> Leo Bodnar has a 1 Hz to 1.6 GHz unit: >> >> The unit now has firmware allowing operation up to 1.6 GHz, even though the >> data sheet says 1.1 GHz. >> >> Not an expensive unit, and very versatile. > > I looked at Leo's original design many years ago. I was not thrilled at what > I saw. While the design per se is ok for what it is intended: a cheap, kind > of accurate frequency source for the hobbyist who needs to calibrate his > 3-digit counter or to set his kitchen clock. But it is no good for what > a time-nut needs. We have had many DIY designs coming through this list > that were much better fits for time-nuts. I'm quite fond of the very simple, > yet astonishingly performant design of Nick Sayer a couple of years ago. > And one cannot beat Lars Valenius' design for simplicity. > > Overall, what I found on ebay & co doesn't look very enticing at the moment. > The prices are astonishingly high. Most GPSDO go for higher prices than > rubidium clocks would go for just 5 years ago. I'm not sure I want to pay > that much for a GPSDO of questionable origin. > > > Attila Kinali > > -- > In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it. > In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be doing it. > -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
JA
Jürgen Appel
Wed, Apr 17, 2024 10:34 PM

Hi,

P,erformance wise I imagine a SRs PRS10 rubidium clock connected with its 1pps input to the 1pps output of a ublox zf9t will be hard to beat for approx 2. 2kEur with respect to many requirement profiles.
Has anyone here tried that out?

Cheers,
Jürgen

On 14 April 2024 15:53:33 CEST, Bob Camp via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Hi

Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well.

If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices.  Each of them has it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still far from the most expensive option.

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html

At least two list members have one of them.

In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there are a lot of ways to run up the price :).

How crazy do you want to get?

Bob

On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Moin,

My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a
replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state
of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation
for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

Thanks in advance

  	Attila Kinali

--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes

Hi, P,erformance wise I imagine a SRs PRS10 rubidium clock connected with its 1pps input to the 1pps output of a ublox zf9t will be hard to beat for approx 2. 2kEur with respect to many requirement profiles. Has anyone here tried that out? Cheers, Jürgen On 14 April 2024 15:53:33 CEST, Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >Hi > >Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well. > >If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still far from the most expensive option. > >https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html > >At least two list members have one of them. > >In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there are a lot of ways to run up the price :). > >How crazy do you want to get? > >Bob > >> On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> >> Moin, >> >> My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a >> replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state >> of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation >> for getting a GPSDO is, these days. >> >> Thanks in advance >> >> Attila Kinali >> >> -- >> Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious >> after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > >_______________________________________________ >time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
MB
Mete Balci
Thu, Apr 18, 2024 10:27 AM

I have FS725 so effectively PRS10 and use it with ZED-F9T. It works well,
but I cannot say more as I dont have any other reference and my GNSS
antenna and location is not ideal.

Mete

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Jürgen Appel via time-nuts <
[...]

I have FS725 so effectively PRS10 and use it with ZED-F9T. It works well, but I cannot say more as I dont have any other reference and my GNSS antenna and location is not ideal. Mete On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Jürgen Appel via time-nuts < time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > Hi, > > P,erformance wise I imagine a SRs PRS10 rubidium clock connected with its > 1pps input to the 1pps output of a ublox zf9t will be hard to beat for > approx 2. 2kEur with respect to many requirement profiles. > Has anyone here tried that out? > > Cheers, > Jürgen > > On 14 April 2024 15:53:33 CEST, Bob Camp via time-nuts < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >Hi > > > >Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still > seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble > version. Both appear to work pretty well. > > > >If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has > it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is > one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still > far from the most expensive option. > > > >https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html > > > >At least two list members have one of them. > > > >In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there > are a lot of ways to run up the price :). > > > >How crazy do you want to get? > > > >Bob > > > >> On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >> > >> Moin, > >> > >> My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a > >> replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state > >> of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current > recommendation > >> for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > >> > >> Thanks in advance > >> > >> Attila Kinali > >> > >> -- > >> Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious > >> after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes > >> _______________________________________________ > >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > > > >_______________________________________________ > >time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > >To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
BC
Bob Camp
Thu, Apr 18, 2024 2:04 PM

Hi

Yup, various folks have indeed done that sort of thing. Some have done it on multiple Rb’s.

The “filter” in these Rb’s (many of them have that option) is not ideal for a GPSDO. It does not handle the “corner cases” very well. Unfortunately > 90% of the “smarts” in a good GPSDO involves those corner cases. Yes, that makes the term corner case a bit suspect …. still, it’s the term that gets commonly used. The “why?” is simply that the feature is primarily intended for “quick calibration" against a Cs or something similar.

The PRS10 has a bit of a bump in its ADEV curve around 10 seconds. It is a result of their fancy mag field management approach. That also (at least to me) makes it a less than perfect choice for this sort of thing. A 10 second gate time on a frequency counter is a pretty common thing …..

On the plus side, you can hook up something like a Mosaic-T and have a pretty fancy drive into the device. To get the best performance, you would need to come up with a way to apply the sawtooth correction data to the pps before it goes over to the Rb. That certainly can be done, it just adds another layer of excitement to the setup.

Fun !!

Bob

On Apr 17, 2024, at 6:34 PM, Jürgen Appel via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

[...]

Hi Yup, various folks have indeed done that sort of thing. Some have done it on multiple Rb’s. The “filter” in these Rb’s (many of them have that option) is not ideal for a GPSDO. It does not handle the “corner cases” very well. Unfortunately > 90% of the “smarts” in a good GPSDO involves those corner cases. Yes, that makes the term corner case a bit suspect …. still, it’s the term that gets commonly used. The “why?” is simply that the feature is primarily intended for “quick calibration" against a Cs or something similar. The PRS10 has a bit of a bump in its ADEV curve around 10 seconds. It is a result of their fancy mag field management approach. That also (at least to me) makes it a less than perfect choice for this sort of thing. A 10 second gate time on a frequency counter is a pretty common thing ….. On the plus side, you can hook up something like a Mosaic-T and have a pretty fancy drive into the device. To get the best performance, you would need to come up with a way to apply the sawtooth correction data to the pps before it goes over to the Rb. That certainly can be done, it just adds another layer of excitement to the setup. Fun !! Bob > On Apr 17, 2024, at 6:34 PM, Jürgen Appel via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Hi, > > P,erformance wise I imagine a SRs PRS10 rubidium clock connected with its 1pps input to the 1pps output of a ublox zf9t will be hard to beat for approx 2. 2kEur with respect to many requirement profiles. > Has anyone here tried that out? > > Cheers, > Jürgen > > On 14 April 2024 15:53:33 CEST, Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> Hi >> >> Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well. >> >> If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still far from the most expensive option. >> >> https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html >> >> At least two list members have one of them. >> >> In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there are a lot of ways to run up the price :). >> >> How crazy do you want to get? >> >> Bob >> >>> On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >>> >>> Moin, >>> >>> My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a >>> replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state >>> of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation >>> for getting a GPSDO is, these days. >>> >>> Thanks in advance >>> >>> Attila Kinali >>> >>> -- >>> Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious >>> after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes >>> _______________________________________________ >>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >>> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >> >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
ZC
Zdenek Chaloupka
Fri, Apr 19, 2024 7:01 AM

Hi,

it is very difficult to tame Mosaic-T's sawtooth (clock quantisation error) as the correction data for the sawtooth are reported from Mosaic-T only after the pulse is out (as oppose to, for example u-blox’s ZED-F9T/NEO-F10T, or Furuno’s GT-100). Also note that simply cleaning up sawtooth with a PLL is also not that easy, as the sawtooth is not uniformly, or normally distributed at times, that means it introduces a significant bias which needs to be cleaned up by PLL. Therefore you would need a PLL with 5mHz bandwidth or lower to clean up the sawtooth (and bias) properly. OCXO’s won’t do, but then a good Rb may be enough to keep PLL stable at those low bandwidths.

In general I would go with a good low cost receiver (my recommendation is NEO-F10T, which you can buy cheap here: https://gnss.store/54-neo-f10t-timing-gnss-modules) and a reasonably good PLL to clean up the sawtooth. The sawtooth is reported from ubx receivers before the pulse, so you can correct it directly in the PLL, if it supports it (supported by Si5383 or AD9545, for example). For some of those PLLs a reasonably cheap (300$) evaluation boards exist, so you don’t have to design your own PCB.

Cheers
Zdenek

On 18 Apr 2024, at 15:04, Bob Camp via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

[...]

Hi, it is very difficult to tame Mosaic-T's sawtooth (clock quantisation error) as the correction data for the sawtooth are reported from Mosaic-T only after the pulse is out (as oppose to, for example u-blox’s ZED-F9T/NEO-F10T, or Furuno’s GT-100). Also note that simply cleaning up sawtooth with a PLL is also not that easy, as the sawtooth is not uniformly, or normally distributed at times, that means it introduces a significant bias which needs to be cleaned up by PLL. Therefore you would need a PLL with 5mHz bandwidth or lower to clean up the sawtooth (and bias) properly. OCXO’s won’t do, but then a good Rb may be enough to keep PLL stable at those low bandwidths. In general I would go with a good low cost receiver (my recommendation is NEO-F10T, which you can buy cheap here: https://gnss.store/54-neo-f10t-timing-gnss-modules) and a reasonably good PLL to clean up the sawtooth. The sawtooth is reported from ubx receivers before the pulse, so you can correct it directly in the PLL, if it supports it (supported by Si5383 or AD9545, for example). For some of those PLLs a reasonably cheap (300$) evaluation boards exist, so you don’t have to design your own PCB. Cheers Zdenek > On 18 Apr 2024, at 15:04, Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Hi > > Yup, various folks have indeed done that sort of thing. Some have done it on multiple Rb’s. > > The “filter” in these Rb’s (many of them have that option) is not ideal for a GPSDO. It does not handle the “corner cases” very well. Unfortunately > 90% of the “smarts” in a good GPSDO involves those corner cases. Yes, that makes the term corner case a bit suspect …. still, it’s the term that gets commonly used. The “why?” is simply that the feature is primarily intended for “quick calibration" against a Cs or something similar. > > The PRS10 has a bit of a bump in its ADEV curve around 10 seconds. It is a result of their fancy mag field management approach. That also (at least to me) makes it a less than perfect choice for this sort of thing. A 10 second gate time on a frequency counter is a pretty common thing ….. > > On the plus side, you can hook up something like a Mosaic-T and have a pretty fancy drive into the device. To get the best performance, you would need to come up with a way to apply the sawtooth correction data to the pps before it goes over to the Rb. That certainly can be done, it just adds another layer of excitement to the setup. > > Fun !! > > Bob > >> On Apr 17, 2024, at 6:34 PM, Jürgen Appel via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> P,erformance wise I imagine a SRs PRS10 rubidium clock connected with its 1pps input to the 1pps output of a ublox zf9t will be hard to beat for approx 2. 2kEur with respect to many requirement profiles. >> Has anyone here tried that out? >> >> Cheers, >> Jürgen >> >> On 14 April 2024 15:53:33 CEST, Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >>> Hi >>> >>> Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well. >>> >>> If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still far from the most expensive option. >>> >>> https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html >>> >>> At least two list members have one of them. >>> >>> In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there are a lot of ways to run up the price :). >>> >>> How crazy do you want to get? >>> >>> Bob >>> >>>> On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> Moin, >>>> >>>> My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a >>>> replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state >>>> of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation >>>> for getting a GPSDO is, these days. >>>> >>>> Thanks in advance >>>> >>>> Attila Kinali >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious >>>> after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >>> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com