time-nuts@lists.febo.com

Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

View all threads

Power grid logging during the eclipse?

MG
Matha Goram
Thu, Apr 11, 2024 1:44 PM

My amateur time-lapse montage at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruWELrNP69k with NOAA GOES-East data
clearly shows that the "/night lights/" did not turn on during Totality
(/at the viewing resolution/ that I selected) that lasted just under 3.5
mins in my area.

Regards.
--- Matha.

On 4/10/24 10:12, Jeremy Nichols via time-nuts wrote:

Does anyone know the size of the Moon’s shadow on the Earth? From satellite
views, I get the feeling it could be the size of one or more US a states.
That would knock out a lot of solar production and cause a lot of
nightlights to illuminate.

Jeremy

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 7:14 AM Chris Caudle via time-nuts <
time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote:

On Monday, April 8, 2024 9:23:47 PM CDT Scott Newell via time-nuts wrote:

Was anyone logging the eastern US power grid today during the
eclipse? I've got some pretty simple hardware at home and about 50
miles away at work. Both are showing a bit of weirdness today around
19:00 UTC.
I have no idea how much power disruption would be needed to cause that
amount
of change in the power distribution, but I see that there is a few MW of
solar
generation in that general quadrant of the state.  I don't know if the
shadow
traversing the solar generation plants could explain the behavior, but
would
probably be the first easy answer I would look for.

--
Chris Caudle

My amateur time-lapse montage at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruWELrNP69k with NOAA GOES-East data clearly shows that the "/night lights/" did not turn on during Totality (/at the viewing resolution/ that I selected) that lasted just under 3.5 mins in my area. Regards. --- Matha. On 4/10/24 10:12, Jeremy Nichols via time-nuts wrote: > Does anyone know the size of the Moon’s shadow on the Earth? From satellite > views, I get the feeling it could be the size of one or more US a states. > That would knock out a lot of solar production and cause a lot of > nightlights to illuminate. > > Jeremy > > > On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 7:14 AM Chris Caudle via time-nuts < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >> On Monday, April 8, 2024 9:23:47 PM CDT Scott Newell via time-nuts wrote: >>> Was anyone logging the eastern US power grid today during the >>> eclipse? I've got some pretty simple hardware at home and about 50 >>> miles away at work. Both are showing a bit of weirdness today around >>> 19:00 UTC. >> I have no idea how much power disruption would be needed to cause that >> amount >> of change in the power distribution, but I see that there is a few MW of >> solar >> generation in that general quadrant of the state. I don't know if the >> shadow >> traversing the solar generation plants could explain the behavior, but >> would >> probably be the first easy answer I would look for. >> >> -- >> Chris Caudle >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list --time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email totime-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >> > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list --time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email totime-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
DM
Demetrios Matsakis
Thu, Apr 11, 2024 2:30 PM

Would anybody have data about the eclipse of August 21, 2017?

Also, there have been some annular eclipses.  Most recently on October 14, 2023 but the Wikipedia has a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_visible_from_the_United_States

On Apr 10, 2024, at 4:50 PM, Bob Camp via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Hi

There are maps that show the path of the eclipse and how long a given point was “in the dark”.
Typical numbers for full darkness at center of path came in around 3 to 4 minutes.

From the center, you could see the “light edges” of the zone of darkness in all directions. Light
started to drop a bit before it went completely dark, but that was nowhere near the change that
the full on total eclipse created.

One of many sites with information:

https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/

Bob

On Apr 10, 2024, at 11:12 AM, Jeremy Nichols via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

[...]

Would anybody have data about the eclipse of August 21, 2017? Also, there have been some annular eclipses. Most recently on October 14, 2023 but the Wikipedia has a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_visible_from_the_United_States > On Apr 10, 2024, at 4:50 PM, Bob Camp via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Hi > > There are maps that show the path of the eclipse and how long a given point was “in the dark”. > Typical numbers for full darkness at center of path came in around 3 to 4 minutes. > > From the center, you could see the “light edges” of the zone of darkness in all directions. Light > started to drop a bit before it went completely dark, but that was nowhere near the change that > the full on total eclipse created. > > One of *many* sites with information: > > https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/ > > > Bob > >> On Apr 10, 2024, at 11:12 AM, Jeremy Nichols via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> >> Does anyone know the size of the Moon’s shadow on the Earth? From satellite >> views, I get the feeling it could be the size of one or more US a states. >> That would knock out a lot of solar production and cause a lot of >> nightlights to illuminate. >> >> Jeremy >> >> >> On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 7:14 AM Chris Caudle via time-nuts < >> time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: >> >>> On Monday, April 8, 2024 9:23:47 PM CDT Scott Newell via time-nuts wrote: >>>> Was anyone logging the eastern US power grid today during the >>>> eclipse? I've got some pretty simple hardware at home and about 50 >>>> miles away at work. Both are showing a bit of weirdness today around >>>> 19:00 UTC. >>> >>> I have no idea how much power disruption would be needed to cause that >>> amount >>> of change in the power distribution, but I see that there is a few MW of >>> solar >>> generation in that general quadrant of the state. I don't know if the >>> shadow >>> traversing the solar generation plants could explain the behavior, but >>> would >>> probably be the first easy answer I would look for. >>> >>> -- >>> Chris Caudle >>> >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >>> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
JN
Jeremy Nichols
Thu, Apr 11, 2024 2:52 PM

There are delay circuits built into most street lights, so it’s likely that
a 4-minute solar totality might not be long enough to trip the circuits.

Jeremy

On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 7:46 AM mcleannb--- via time-nuts <
time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote:

Is the street lighting in that part of the world automatic like here down
under? Did a whole bunch of street lighting sensors all detect dark at the
same time and turn the street lights on?
Nic
Near Sydney Australia.

On 2024-04-11 10:52, Jeremy Nichols via time-nuts wrote:

There are delay circuits built into most street lights, so it’s likely
that
a 4-minute solar totality might not be long enough to trip the
circuits.

Where we were in Ohio the streetlight came on after about 30 seconds in
and went off roughly the same time after the end of totality.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

[...]

On 2024-04-11 10:52, Jeremy Nichols via time-nuts wrote: > There are delay circuits built into most street lights, so it’s likely > that > a 4-minute solar totality might not be long enough to trip the > circuits. > Where we were in Ohio the streetlight came on after about 30 seconds in and went off roughly the same time after the end of totality. Regards Marshall Eubanks > Jeremy > > > On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 7:46 AM mcleannb--- via time-nuts < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > >> Is the street lighting in that part of the world automatic like here >> down >> under? Did a whole bunch of street lighting sensors all detect dark at >> the >> same time and turn the street lights on? >> Nic >> Near Sydney Australia. >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Joseph B. Fitzgerald via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> >> Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2024 1:13 AM >> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement >> <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> >> Cc: Joseph B. Fitzgerald <jfitzgerald@alum.wpi.edu> >> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: Power grid logging during the eclipse? >> >> The change in load on the grid was fairly unusual during the eclipse >> with >> rapid changes in the bulk power system. See the graph linked below >> from >> grid operator ISO New England. Y axis is megawatts of demand, while >> the >> x >> axis is Eastern Daylight time. Both days were sunny, but we see the >> dramatic effect of the moon's shadow reducing the amount solar >> generation >> on >> the afternoon of the 8th. >> >> https://bhows.org/New_England_grid_eclipse.png >> >> It is not too surprising (to me anyway) that the grid frequency >> wandered >> around a bit during this unusual load swing. >> >> -Joe >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send >> an >> email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com >> > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com