time-nuts@lists.febo.com

Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

View all threads

possible negative leap second

RV
Rsec Van der leij
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 11:46 AM

On 30 Mar 2024, at 12:18, Steve Allen via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

UTC with leap seconds is the time scale that was "good enough for
international government work" until it became expedient to rewrite
national laws about time.  That was the goal in 1970.

And that is exactly what we got. A worldwide consistent time for us humans, and the machines use whatever is most convenient.

I'm typing this on an iPad, that has GNSS built in. The clocks determining my exact location run UT1 when they use (US) GPS, run GTS (which is directly derived from TAI) when using Galileo and STFR (which is referenced to UTC+3, and uses leap seconds) when using GLONASS. And so on.

However: I get my local time. CET. (CEST will be tomorrow.) Less than a second difference from TAI + 37 leapseconds. 50 µs if I read the graph correctly.

A man with one clock knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure of the right time.

regards,

Ruben

> On 30 Mar 2024, at 12:18, Steve Allen via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > UTC with leap seconds is the time scale that was "good enough for > international government work" until it became expedient to rewrite > national laws about time. That was the goal in 1970. And that is exactly what we got. A worldwide consistent time for us humans, and the machines use whatever is most convenient. I'm typing this on an iPad, that has GNSS built in. The clocks determining my exact location run UT1 when they use (US) GPS, run GTS (which is directly derived from TAI) when using Galileo and STFR (which is referenced to UTC+3, and uses leap seconds) when using GLONASS. And so on. However: I get my local time. CET. (CEST will be tomorrow.) Less than a second difference from TAI + 37 leapseconds. 50 µs if I read the graph correctly. A man with one clock knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure of the right time. regards, -- Ruben
ericsp@gmail.com
Tue, Apr 16, 2024 4:33 AM

I can confirm that the BG7TBL is sill running a touch slow. Mine was a 2019 unit that was delivered a few weeks ago. At least from what the ebay listing said.

With 20,000 samples and a gate time a 1 Second

Mean was 9.999 999 998 547 91

So the software bug might still be present
Frequancy Counter was a Keysight 53230A