time-nuts@lists.febo.com

Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

View all threads

Motorola UT Still Going

GM
Gary Myers
Mon, Mar 4, 2024 12:46 AM

I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my
Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is
currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement
but have seen no need to swap it in.

Are there others out there still running their old rola's?

I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement but have seen no need to swap it in. Are there others out there still running their old rola's?
AS
Art Sepin
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 5:58 AM

That's good news, Gary. I recall that one of the UT+ firmware versions had the capability of operating past the 1024 week mark (but may have had bug fixes in a later version).

How important one of the SSR replacement receivers becomes is application dependent. For many general timing applications, some SSR features may not matter but for updating legacy timing instrumentation, there are proven gains to be achieved over the original Motorola VP, UT+ and M12x receivers. Like better sensitivity means tracking more satellites at a given location;  accuracy of PPS ~ 21 ns for SSR vs. ~50 for UT+; anti-Jamming Performance in EMI Environments; no receiver 1024 Week Roll-Overs; four times faster TTFF than UT+ (not that important for always-on applications) and especially much better ADEV performance in legacy timing instruments.

Apologize in advance for the unintended overt commercial tone of this response!

Art

I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my
Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement but have seen no need to swap it in.

Are there others out there still running their old rola's?

That's good news, Gary. I recall that one of the UT+ firmware versions had the capability of operating past the 1024 week mark (but may have had bug fixes in a later version). How important one of the SSR replacement receivers becomes is application dependent. For many general timing applications, some SSR features may not matter but for updating legacy timing instrumentation, there are proven gains to be achieved over the original Motorola VP, UT+ and M12x receivers. Like better sensitivity means tracking more satellites at a given location; accuracy of PPS ~ 21 ns for SSR vs. ~50 for UT+; anti-Jamming Performance in EMI Environments; no receiver 1024 Week Roll-Overs; four times faster TTFF than UT+ (not that important for always-on applications) and especially much better ADEV performance in legacy timing instruments. Apologize in advance for the unintended overt commercial tone of this response! Art -----Original Message----- From: Gary Myers <gary@geekslounge.com> On Behalf Of Gary Myers via time-nuts Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2024 4:46 PM To: time-nuts@lists.febo.com Cc: Gary Myers <gary@geekslounge.com> Subject: [time-nuts] Motorola UT Still Going I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement but have seen no need to swap it in. Are there others out there still running their old rola's? _______________________________________________ time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
WJ
william j beam
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 6:15 AM

I have seven UT+ in continuous use using Tac32 or Lady Heather keeping my
XP and Win7 machines on time.  Been running longer than I can remember.

73, Bill NL7F

On 3/3/2024 3:45 PM, Gary Myers via time-nuts wrote:

I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my
Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is
currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement
but have seen no need to swap it in.

Are there others out there still running their old rola's?

Bill Beam, NL7F

I have seven UT+ in continuous use using Tac32 or Lady Heather keeping my XP and Win7 machines on time.  Been running longer than I can remember. 73, Bill NL7F On 3/3/2024 3:45 PM, Gary Myers via time-nuts wrote: > I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my > Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is > currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement > but have seen no need to swap it in. > > Are there others out there still running their old rola's? > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list --time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email totime-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com -- Bill Beam, NL7F
MD
Magnus Danielson
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 2:11 PM

Hi Art,

Thanks for the plot. I think I have a few VPs around, and natually an M12+.

The "hill" around tau=1000s seems to be in the rough scale of a handfull
of ns errors, which makes at least me think about sawtooth error, and
what clock is used to generate PPS, dvs. compensation of sawtooth
errors. If you could spread some light into what the numbers are it
would be appreciated.

While things in general is improving is good, but it is also clear that
oldest (VP - blue) is not worst.

I used to find datasheets for the Motorola GPS receiver chips. Do you
happen to have that in your stash so you can share with us for historic
reference?

Cheers,
Magnus

I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my
Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement but have seen no need to swap it in.

Are there others out there still running their old rola's?

Hi Art, Thanks for the plot. I think I have a few VPs around, and natually an M12+. The "hill" around tau=1000s seems to be in the rough scale of a handfull of ns errors, which makes at least me think about sawtooth error, and what clock is used to generate PPS, dvs. compensation of sawtooth errors. If you could spread some light into what the numbers are it would be appreciated. While things in general is improving is good, but it is also clear that oldest (VP - blue) is not worst. I used to find datasheets for the Motorola GPS receiver chips. Do you happen to have that in your stash so you can share with us for historic reference? Cheers, Magnus On 2024-03-05 06:58, Art Sepin via time-nuts wrote: > That's good news, Gary. I recall that one of the UT+ firmware versions had the capability of operating past the 1024 week mark (but may have had bug fixes in a later version). > > How important one of the SSR replacement receivers becomes is application dependent. For many general timing applications, some SSR features may not matter but for updating legacy timing instrumentation, there are proven gains to be achieved over the original Motorola VP, UT+ and M12x receivers. Like better sensitivity means tracking more satellites at a given location; accuracy of PPS ~ 21 ns for SSR vs. ~50 for UT+; anti-Jamming Performance in EMI Environments; no receiver 1024 Week Roll-Overs; four times faster TTFF than UT+ (not that important for always-on applications) and especially much better ADEV performance in legacy timing instruments. > > Apologize in advance for the unintended overt commercial tone of this response! > > Art > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Gary Myers <gary@geekslounge.com> On Behalf Of Gary Myers via time-nuts > Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2024 4:46 PM > To: time-nuts@lists.febo.com > Cc: Gary Myers <gary@geekslounge.com> > Subject: [time-nuts] Motorola UT Still Going > > I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my > Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement but have seen no need to swap it in. > > Are there others out there still running their old rola's? > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
AS
Art Sepin
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 2:38 PM

And most of the old Motorola receivers, including a VP we have running here, will keep working through their 1024 week roll-over date unless they are power-cycled.

Art

--
Bill Beam, NL7F

And most of the old Motorola receivers, including a VP we have running here, will keep working through their 1024 week roll-over date unless they are power-cycled. Art -----Original Message----- From: william j beam via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> Sent: Monday, March 4, 2024 10:15 PM To: time-nuts@lists.febo.com Cc: william j beam <wjbeam@gmail.com> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: Motorola UT Still Going I have seven UT+ in continuous use using Tac32 or Lady Heather keeping my XP and Win7 machines on time.  Been running longer than I can remember. 73, Bill NL7F On 3/3/2024 3:45 PM, Gary Myers via time-nuts wrote: > I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my > Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is > currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR > replacement but have seen no need to swap it in. > > Are there others out there still running their old rola's? > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list --time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send > an email totime-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com -- Bill Beam, NL7F _______________________________________________ time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
GM
Gary Myers
Tue, Mar 5, 2024 3:43 PM

Thanks Art! Yes, my UT+ is on version 3.1, so it might have made the
cut. Rick Hambly at CNS Systems shows those comparisons in his
presentations, always a good read of how these older receivers are used
and compared in the wild. I also sourced the SSR replacement from him as
well.

Another reason I'm sitting on the fence is that my antenna coverage is
not so good. I typically only get 10-11 satellites in view, so getting
more channels with the SSR is sort of mute.

There is a UT+ on eBay at the moment with a 3.2 upgrade. Interesting!

Gary

On 2024-03-04 22:15, william j beam via time-nuts wrote:

I have seven UT+ in continuous use using Tac32 or Lady Heather keeping my
XP and Win7 machines on time.  Been running longer than I can remember.

73, Bill NL7F

On 3/3/2024 3:45 PM, Gary Myers via time-nuts wrote:

I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my
Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is
currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement
but have seen no need to swap it in.

Are there others out there still running their old rola's?

Good to hear Bill! Lady Heather is a nice app too. I've used my setup to keep my Linux box in time with my VLF monitoring of the ionosphere. Timing is not critical unless we see a gama ray burst (GRB) from the universe. Though if we did, we might be in trouble, lol. Cheers, Gary On 2024-03-04 22:15, william j beam via time-nuts wrote: > I have seven UT+ in continuous use using Tac32 or Lady Heather keeping my > XP and Win7 machines on time. Been running longer than I can remember. > > 73, Bill NL7F > > On 3/3/2024 3:45 PM, Gary Myers via time-nuts wrote: > >> I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my >> Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is >> currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement >> but have seen no need to swap it in. >> >> Are there others out there still running their old rola's? >> _______________________________________________ >> time-nuts mailing list --time-nuts@lists.febo.com >> To unsubscribe send an email totime-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
TV
Tom Van Baak
Wed, Mar 6, 2024 2:53 PM

Magnus -- What GPS or Oncore documents are you looking for in
particular? Fellow time-nut Jason has a deep stash of old GPS receiver
documents [1]. For example, among the hundreds of files are these:

http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/vp.pdf
http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/ut.pdf
http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/utplus.pdf
http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/gt.pdf
http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/gtplus.pdf

Just let me know what you want or can't find. It's likely in my T&F
archive or hardcopy library.

Art -- If you are still missing Synergy GPS files let me know. I have
some old web backups of your site.

/tvb

[1]
https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2007-February/006775.html

On 3/5/2024 6:11 AM, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote:

Hi Art,

Thanks for the plot. I think I have a few VPs around, and natually an
M12+.

The "hill" around tau=1000s seems to be in the rough scale of a
handfull of ns errors, which makes at least me think about sawtooth
error, and what clock is used to generate PPS, dvs. compensation of
sawtooth errors. If you could spread some light into what the numbers
are it would be appreciated.

While things in general is improving is good, but it is also clear
that oldest (VP - blue) is not worst.

I used to find datasheets for the Motorola GPS receiver chips. Do you
happen to have that in your stash so you can share with us for
historic reference?

Cheers,
Magnus

Magnus -- What GPS or Oncore documents are you looking for in particular? Fellow time-nut Jason has a deep stash of old GPS receiver documents [1]. For example, among the hundreds of files are these: http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/vp.pdf http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/ut.pdf http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/utplus.pdf http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/gt.pdf http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/gtplus.pdf Just let me know what you want or can't find. It's likely in my T&F archive or hardcopy library. Art -- If you are still missing Synergy GPS files let me know. I have some old web backups of your site. /tvb [1] https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2007-February/006775.html On 3/5/2024 6:11 AM, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote: > Hi Art, > > Thanks for the plot. I think I have a few VPs around, and natually an > M12+. > > The "hill" around tau=1000s seems to be in the rough scale of a > handfull of ns errors, which makes at least me think about sawtooth > error, and what clock is used to generate PPS, dvs. compensation of > sawtooth errors. If you could spread some light into what the numbers > are it would be appreciated. > > While things in general is improving is good, but it is also clear > that oldest (VP - blue) is not worst. > > I used to find datasheets for the Motorola GPS receiver chips. Do you > happen to have that in your stash so you can share with us for > historic reference? > > Cheers, > Magnus
AS
Art Sepin
Thu, Mar 7, 2024 10:01 PM

HI Magnus,

The test method below was used to develop the ADEV graph. We haven't completely repopulated the Legacy products area under Support: https://synergy-gps.com/support/motorola-legacy-products/
but that area is being rebuilt as we have time.

Art

"Symmetricom 58530B Performance tests:
A series of tests were performed to determine if the various GPS modules have any effect on the overall performance of the 58503B. Data was collected using a 53100A Phase Noise Analyzer 10 times per second for a full day, resulting in 86,400 samples per test. The reference is an HP5065A Rubidium Frequency Standard running open loop, recently calibrated to GPS with a frequency accuracy of approximately 1e-12 at one second.
The data collected can be displayed in many ways. Shown below are the results of all tests displayed in Allen Deviation format, the most common way to show the frequency stability of an oscillator like the 58503B. On these plots, the lower the "noise", the better.

There is much that can be said about these plots regarding the internal crystal oscillator in the 58503B, its steering to GPS, and its averaging period. In this case we are primarily interested to see if the various 8-channel, 12-channel and 16-channel GPS receivers have any effect on the performance of the 58530B without changing any of its internal parameters.

The result suggests that all the GPS receivers perform well in the 58530B but the two 16-channel receivers, the Synergy SSR-6Tf+ mounted on the Goshay board and the Synergy SSR-VP/UT+ single board receiver perform better than any other GPS receiver."

HI Magnus, The test method below was used to develop the ADEV graph. We haven't completely repopulated the Legacy products area under Support: https://synergy-gps.com/support/motorola-legacy-products/ but that area is being rebuilt as we have time. Art "Symmetricom 58530B Performance tests: A series of tests were performed to determine if the various GPS modules have any effect on the overall performance of the 58503B. Data was collected using a 53100A Phase Noise Analyzer 10 times per second for a full day, resulting in 86,400 samples per test. The reference is an HP5065A Rubidium Frequency Standard running open loop, recently calibrated to GPS with a frequency accuracy of approximately 1e-12 at one second. The data collected can be displayed in many ways. Shown below are the results of all tests displayed in Allen Deviation format, the most common way to show the frequency stability of an oscillator like the 58503B. On these plots, the lower the "noise", the better. There is much that can be said about these plots regarding the internal crystal oscillator in the 58503B, its steering to GPS, and its averaging period. In this case we are primarily interested to see if the various 8-channel, 12-channel and 16-channel GPS receivers have any effect on the performance of the 58530B without changing any of its internal parameters. The result suggests that all the GPS receivers perform well in the 58530B but the two 16-channel receivers, the Synergy SSR-6Tf+ mounted on the Goshay board and the Synergy SSR-VP/UT+ single board receiver perform better than any other GPS receiver." -----Original Message----- From: Magnus Danielson via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2024 6:11 AM To: time-nuts@lists.febo.com Cc: Magnus Danielson <magnus@rubidium.se> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: Motorola UT Still Going Hi Art, Thanks for the plot. I think I have a few VPs around, and natually an M12+. The "hill" around tau=1000s seems to be in the rough scale of a handfull of ns errors, which makes at least me think about sawtooth error, and what clock is used to generate PPS, dvs. compensation of sawtooth errors. If you could spread some light into what the numbers are it would be appreciated. While things in general is improving is good, but it is also clear that oldest (VP - blue) is not worst. I used to find datasheets for the Motorola GPS receiver chips. Do you happen to have that in your stash so you can share with us for historic reference? Cheers, Magnus On 2024-03-05 06:58, Art Sepin via time-nuts wrote: > That's good news, Gary. I recall that one of the UT+ firmware versions had the capability of operating past the 1024 week mark (but may have had bug fixes in a later version). > > How important one of the SSR replacement receivers becomes is application dependent. For many general timing applications, some SSR features may not matter but for updating legacy timing instrumentation, there are proven gains to be achieved over the original Motorola VP, UT+ and M12x receivers. Like better sensitivity means tracking more satellites at a given location; accuracy of PPS ~ 21 ns for SSR vs. ~50 for UT+; anti-Jamming Performance in EMI Environments; no receiver 1024 Week Roll-Overs; four times faster TTFF than UT+ (not that important for always-on applications) and especially much better ADEV performance in legacy timing instruments. > > Apologize in advance for the unintended overt commercial tone of this response! > > Art > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Gary Myers <gary@geekslounge.com> On Behalf Of Gary Myers via > time-nuts > Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2024 4:46 PM > To: time-nuts@lists.febo.com > Cc: Gary Myers <gary@geekslounge.com> > Subject: [time-nuts] Motorola UT Still Going > > I got my Tac2/Motorola UT+ out of the closet and fired up Tac32 on my > Win11 box. The UT is still going strong with no rollover and is currently on GPS Week 2304. I have a 16-channel Synergy SSR replacement but have seen no need to swap it in. > > Are there others out there still running their old rola's? > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send > an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send > an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com _______________________________________________ time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com