No subject

Wed Dec 3 18:34:25 UTC 2008

generating an accurate antenna height measurement due to the way GPS works.
They  don't seem to have a problem generating good long/lat coordinates. But in
timing, all three axis need to be precise unfortunately.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 1/6/2009 03:23:53 Pacific Standard Time,
pvince at theiet.org writes:

Said  wrote:

>When we say units typically have 25ns unit-to-unit variation  on the 1PPS on

>un-calibrated units, then I believe most of this  is caused by the
auto-survey
>position errors of the GPS  receiver. One could get much better performance
by
> manually entering  the exact position-hold position of the antenna, and
then
>calibrating for antenna cable delay (in 1ns steps).

A naive  question, if I may: how do I go about doing a precise manual
position survey?  Is it simply a case of letting the unit self
survey, then manually  entering different co-ordinates (say +/- 10 metres) in
each of the three  directions in turn, watch the
signal output, and try to tune for minimum  wobble?

Thanks,   Peter