[time-nuts] Ovens

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Aug 17 18:40:48 UTC 2004

The E1938A was used in various HP "Smart Clocks".
The total production run of the E1938A was something
in the low 10's of thousands.  It was never offered
for sale separately.  I have a few dozen reject
E1938A's in my junk box.  In general, they work OK,
but the crystals have frequency jumps or aging problems
that make them no better than a 10811 for timekeeping.
(I tested them all on the E1938A test system before it
went away).

It might be possible for me to make them available to
people for educational purposes only.  I also have some
extra oven assemblies that can be taken apart to study
the design.  I cannot accept money for them, and do not
have much time available to give "support".  A number
of papers describing the oscillator are on my web site.

Rick
www.karlquist.com