[time-nuts] General Purpose Instrument Troubles

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Fri Nov 26 19:27:44 UTC 2004

Have a Racal-Dana 1992 counter with a GPIB interface.
Also have a National Instruments 488.2 ISA bus card with
software dated July 2000, with PDF manuals. Found a PDF
manual for the 1992 on the net and focused on the GPIB
stuff.

Hooked them up with an IBM 365 PC running Win98. NI 488.2
controller sees the 1992. 1992 reacts when NI sends ID
string, but nothing else works - all result in timeout.

1992 manual says it is using 1978 vintage GPIB, and I cannot
find the ID string that the NI controller is using.

I suspect that my problem is compounded incompatibilities.
Is 488.2 compatible with the earlier 488?

Any insight appreciated.

Bill Hawkins