[time-nuts] Difference between HP 5370A and 5370B

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Apr 15 23:13:21 UTC 2005

Hi David:

There's an appendix in the Stanford Research manual for the PRS10 Rb
oscillator that explains how to make 1,000 measurements each second and
thus get 1 ps accuracy every second.  It involves using a precision
external clock into the SR620 and connecting the Ref Out (1 kHz derived
from the internal or Ref oscillator) into the External Gate input.  The
Start and Stop signals need to be something like 10 MHz, or probably any
frequency at or above 1 kHz.  And the gate is used to enable a
measurement 1,000 times per second.

Each second you could see a drift of 1E-12 and 1E-14 in 10 seconds!  I'm
going to try using this method to set one Cs standard to the one I think
is now set.

Note that some of the HP counters can display a large number of digits
per second when measuring frequency, BUT NOT in time interval mode.

I like the SR620!

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE

--