[time-nuts] Difference between HP 5370A and 5370B

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Apr 15 23:59:08 UTC 2005

Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi David:
>
> There's an appendix in the Stanford Research manual for the PRS10 Rb
> oscillator that explains how to make 1,000 measurements each second and
> thus get 1 ps accuracy every second.  It involves using a precision
> external clock into the SR620 and connecting the Ref Out (1 kHz derived
> from the internal or Ref oscillator) into the External Gate input.  The
> Start and Stop signals need to be something like 10 MHz, or probably any
> frequency at or above 1 kHz.  And the gate is used to enable a
> measurement 1,000 times per second.
> Each second you could see a drift of 1E-12 and 1E-14 in 10 seconds!  I'm
> going to try using this method to set one Cs standard to the one I think
> is now set.
>
> Note that some of the HP counters can display a large number of digits
> per second when measuring frequency, BUT NOT in time interval mode.

I think the 5370A or 5370B can, but without a manual, or an instrument
to play with, I really can't say. But I have an instrument on order, and
will search for a manual once I know the S/N, as I gather it is critical
to get the right manual.

> I like the SR620!

There's one on eBay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25401&item=7507651064&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

but the starting price is 5x more than I paid for the 5370B.

I like Stanford kit. Have several of their lock-in amps at work. I think
we have more usable lockins than scopes!!

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/