[time-nuts] Re: Phase noise with a lock-in amplifier.

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Sun Apr 17 18:30:29 UTC 2005

Guys, unless I am grossly misunderstanding something, the mixer method has
been the long standing method by which phase noise is measured. There are
countless papers on the subject including several by Dave Allen and Fred
Walls of NIST. We were using this method over 20 years ago when working on
the Milstar program whose phase noise on the output carrier at 44 GHz was
impossible to meet. NIST even developed a phase noise test set for the
purpose which HP went on to produce. Just think how low the close in phase
noise of a 10 MHz source had to be if every multiplication (N) of that
source to get to 44 GHz degraded it by 20*logN. I digress, but, we used the
basic mixer as a phase detector, which I believe is what this discussion is
about. Regards - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731