[time-nuts] Newbie with new questions: Rubidium

rlutwak at comcast.net rlutwak at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 20:26:36 UTC 2005

10-20 years is pretty good reliability for any electronic system.  Unlike the cesium beam clocks which have a natural wearout mechanism (cesium depletion), the rubidium physics package can, in principle, last forever.

Usually, Rb clock failures are electronic.  Failed components are generally the same you'd expect on any electronics.  Check first the power supply capacitors.

In order to maintain lock, both the resonance cell and need to be temperature stabilized.  If the baseplate (+ internal temperature rise) exceeds the setpoint of either oven, the ovens lose control and the (physics) frequency may deviate by enough exceed the tuning range of the oscillator.

-RL

Robert Lutwak, Senior Scientist
Symmetricom - Technology Realization Center
34 Tozer Rd.
Beverly, MA 01915

RLutwak at Symmetricom.com (Business)
Lutwak at Alum.MIT.edu (Personal)