[time-nuts] Newbie with new questions: Rubidium

Robert Lutwak Lutwak at Alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 6 12:11:15 UTC 2005

The lamp runs quite hot (typically over 100C).  Failure is generally the
heater, which is typically a transistor or FET bolted to the lamp body.
Occasionally, the RF transistor which drive the lamp discharge (something in
the range of 60-150 MHz) will fail.  Again, it's the electronic components
failing, not the physics.

In a very old Rb, you may see some reduction in signal level due to
darkening of the lamp glass.  This may lead to diminished stability
performance and contribute to long-term frequency drift, but is unlikely to
cause lock failure.

-RL

Robert Lutwak, Senior Scientist
Symmetricom - Technology Realization Center
34 Tozer Rd.
Beverly, MA 01915
(978) 232-1461   Voice           RLutwak at Symmetricom.com   (Business)
(978) 927-4099   FAX             Lutwak at Alum.MIT.edu  (Personal)
(339) 927-7896   Mobile