[time-nuts] Low cost synchronization

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 18 18:08:21 UTC 2005

Mike - I've spent a fair amount of time looking in to this as part of
my Internet testbed.  At the moment, I have about 25 nodes using
EndRun's CDMA time receivers ($1k-ish each), so I've been very
interested in cheaper solutions, for obvious reasons.

I assume that the devices of which you're speaking are standalone
items?  Something like a sensor deployment, possibly networked?
Knowing more about how you actually plan on using these would help a
bit.  For example, if they're networked within particular regions,
that gives you an easy way to synch to within milliseconds.

WWVB:  Are you going to be deploying inside buildings?  Buildings
with electronics and UPSes?  If so, be very careful.
Most cheap WWVB watches and clocks don't work very well on the east
coast, from my experience.  I poked around at a few in my old lab in
Boston, and they were a no-go.

Your analysis of GPS seems correct.  You can probably build a $50 GPS
time receiver to synch to milliseconds, but not much cheaper.  On the
other hand, as the 911 location requirements for cell phones expand,
this may change.  But not yet.

Atomic reference:  I'd say no chance in the next 5+ years.

Local stable crystal:  Actually, you could make it more than stable
enough, but it would exceed your power requirements, because you'd
probably fall back to an oven controlled oscillator.  There goes your
battery.  But why did you try your initial experiments with 32.768Khz
watch crystals?  You're much more likely to find a good, solid 10Mhz
reference with an SC cut TCXO.  For instance, that maxim IC you
mentioned has +- 2ppm, which is really quite awful by instrumentation
standards.  Compare to this one:

    http://www.bdelectronic.com/frequency/oscillatorTCXO.html

.3ppm tempco, +- 1ppm/year.  They don't show their overall allen
deviation curves, but you get the idea - it'll be within 1ppm by the
end of the year, and since that aging will probably happen over time,
I'd guess it would probably get you something like 10 seconds within
a year.  Or something like:

   http://www.vectron.com/products/tcxo/tc140.pdf

(... which is probably expensive, but which you can get in 0.2 ppm
accuracy vs. temperature and <2ppm/10 years).

Another option you may have just eliminated on principle:  Internet
synchronization.  Very easy to keep synched to within a few hundred
ms.  (Internet can also be replaced by ACTS telephone, or your
favorite other technology).  Very limited in where you can deploy if
you want outdoor deployment.

WWVB and its kin may well be your best bet, _if_ you can hear them
enough places.

  -Dave