[time-nuts] Low cost synchronization

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Thu Aug 18 20:44:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, buehl wrote:

> The 1 Hz difference leads to the problems of 'is it +1 or -1;

I can deal with this with a digital counter.  You will always
know if A is ahead of B or not.

> Or at zero, there is no output to count.

Yes, this is a problem.  Perhaps it is better to make sure the
crystals are different, like 32KHz and 38KHz.  But still, is the
difference between them stable to 0.1ppm?  I'm skeptical
(otherwise everyone would do it this way), but I'd be happy for
it to be so!

> Does anyone in the group have expertise in "forced aging" of
> crystals.  In the 'good old days' before precision trimmed
> parts, we commonly 'aged' parts with temperature cycles and
> voltage cycles to get past all the first year variations.
> This gave long term stability as well as sorting out all the
> early life failures of parts.  Would take care of the 'first
> year drift' variable.

If it is a simple bake, that we can do.  But if it more complex
than that, the manufacturing cost might exceed other solutions.
I was thinking we would build the PCB (which goes through a
reflow heat cycle), then bake the end result at 100C or something
for an hour.  But this was just speculation on my part that it
would help with long term aging.

I guess I would find out in a year... :-(

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 x101
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
255 S. Garvin St, Suite B               mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47713                    http://www.ciholas.com