[time-nuts] Low cost synchronization

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Thu Aug 18 22:42:00 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Ciholas" <mikec at ciholas.com>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
<time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Low cost synchronization

> Yes, it would.  The devices are part of a social experiment and
> are meant to be carried by humans.  The devices, at preprogrammed
> times, signal the human with an audio signal.  We want all the
> devices to create this signal "simultaneously", which means
> something on the order of a few seconds variation among all the
> units anywhere in the world.

Mike
While a fascinating engineering challenge, I fail to see the need for
such accurate timing, given the typically wide ranging timeframe for
human response to similar signals -eg cell phones ringing, etc.
Or is it enough for the user to merely be aware of the audible prompt?
Is it possible to elaborate?
Regards
 Dave Brown, NZ