[time-nuts] Re: Accuracy of a sound card

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Aug 22 23:09:59 UTC 2005

Alberto di Bene wrote:
> David Kirkby wrote:
>

>>If your PC has an ISA slot, or you have an older PC with an ISA slot,
>>then a GPIB board is not that expensive on eBay. Just save yourself a
>>lot of hassle and get one from National Instruments, as they are
>>better supported than other makes.
>

> I have an ISA GPIB card collecting dust on a shelf... I just don't have
> a PC with an ISA slot... probably I should find one at a ham swap fest...
>

>>PCI GPIB cards are current, and so are *much* more expensive.
>

> I know.... :-(  I checked the NI prices and for such a card they want a
> couple hundreds Euros or more...

Yes. For Solaris drivers, they want more than the cost of the card!!

I think the drivers were 10 UKP more than the card last time I looked.
But the cards have gone up quite a bit since then, so perhaps not any more.

But I got my Solaris drivers in a copy of Labview for Solaris.

> I am wondering... I know of the existence of USB <=> RS232 adaptors. May
> be someone sells also USB <=> GPIB converters ? Nobody knows ?

You can get a USB based GPIB adapter that is less than a PCI based one.
But they are still not cheap.

An old PC is probably your best bet.

--
David Kirkby,