[time-nuts] Z3816a and newbie questions

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sun Jan 9 21:08:38 UTC 2005

Rex,

> Time is not too important to me right now. I want an accurate 10 MHz
> reference for test equipment and setting crystal standards. I am into
> ham microwave radio and would like to have setability to 1 E-10 or
> better.

OK, you can be sure your Z3816A will be within
that frequency at all times. If you're doing this for
fun, you're all set. If it's for business you might, at
some point, want to keep an Rb and a frequency
counter running in the background to detect cases
where your Z3816A or antenna feed silently fails.

The logic is that it is near impossible for a surplus
Rb and a surplus TI counter and a surplus GPS
antenna and receiver to fail at the same time.

> I added a guesstimate for cable delay on my unit. Am I correct that
> these delays will have no affect on 10 MHz accuracy, and only matters if
> accurate time is important?

Correct, the delay offsets have no effect on using
a GPSDO as a frequency reference.

/tvb