[time-nuts] Z3816a and newbie questions

Brian Kirby kirbybq at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 9 23:43:27 UTC 2005

I beleive that HP made some errors when writing the Z3801A manual, or
they were unclear/grey about some areas.  The spec of 1E10-9 would be
the oscillator unlocked, probally worse case, temp drift, etc.  The
basic oscillator is better than this - If you look at the 10811A/B
quartz crystal oscillator manual, long term drift at 24 hours is rated
less than 5E-10.  ! second variance is 5E10-12.  Now if we look at
Mejia-Norton's file "Performance Specifications for HP 10811D/E Family
Crystal Oscillators and at the 10811-60158 (page 21) specs are coarse
tuning +/- 5x10E-7, EFC +/-2E10-7 for a range of +/- 5Volts.  Long term
stability 2.5E-10 per 24 hours after warm up and typical 1E10-8 for the
year.

When the Z3801A is locked up, it approaches UTC,  parts in low 10E-13 to
slightly better over 24 hours.