[time-nuts] C-Beam Usage

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Jan 14 12:59:32 UTC 2005

Up until I started working on my FTS4050, I would have said that they last
the same length of time whether you use them or not.  That certainly was the
usual experience with HP5060, 5061, 5062 units of yor.  However, seeing my
4050 show strong signs of activity in its 16 year old tube, which has just
spent the last 10 years untouched in storage, I am changing my tune.

With the FTS tubes, I think you can get away with just firing it up when you
need it.  These tubes seem to be so well sealed that I am not sure that there
is any benefit in firing them up to keep the vacuum pumped down.

-Chuck