[time-nuts] C-Beam Usage

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Jan 14 13:54:18 UTC 2005

The photocell (photomultiplier really) should last forever if it is
kept "dark", and in a vacuum.  Discrete P-M tubes tolerate storage quite
well.

I believe that the traditional cause for C-beam tubes to fail in storage is
degradation of vacuum.  These new tubes are unbelievably clean inside, and have
as near to perfect seals as is possible.  I was absolutely amazed to find
my tube had made it through 10 years of careless storage with a good hard
vacuum.  I suspect that mine is not unique in this regard.

-Chuck