[time-nuts] Testing 2 Cesiums & GPS

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Jan 19 18:51:15 UTC 2005

Hi John:

The subject of the FTS patent number that's stamped on my 4060/S24 is
the micro controller program that finds the correct peak.  See:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/FTS4060.shtml#C
It sweeps the control voltage and looks for a peak that has two adjacent
valleys that are about the same magnitude.  If you look at a wrong
adjacent peak you'll see that the valley nearest the correct peak is
deeper than the valley away from the correct peak.  This morning I'll
reread the manual to see if I can come up with a problem that would
allow the lock LED to be on and yet leave the OCXO free running.

The other thing I've learned about Cesium standards that I had not
realized is that you can turn them on and they are on frequency.  In the
case of my s/n 1227 It's been off for over 2 years, yet turned on in the
E-13 area.  This may relate to the difference in magnetic field where it
was calibrated (many states away) and my local magnetic field.  My hope
would be that if I calibrate it and leave it alone it would come right
back to where it was when powered on.

I'm shopping for a function generator that has a BNC output connector
and very fine frequency setting capability and hopefully is small (not a
big rack unit like the HP 3325) to see how well the Zeeman C field
adjustment works.  Also for other uses it would be nice to have the
ability to input an audio frequency and be able to shift it up in
frequency by a controllable amount.  The Berkeley Neucelonics 625 looks
nice in this regard.

Can you add to your web pages diagrams of the setup you are using and
instrument settings?  I agree that it's not a trivial thing to make a
measurement good to 14 digits.  A friend and metrology expert pointed
out to me that time (or frequency) is the thing that can be measured
more precisely than any other physical quantity.  For example the very
best voltmeter (HP 3458) is a 9 digit instrument.  So now most other
physical quantities are measured by somehow getting the thing to be
measured converted into a time or frequency.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE

--
w/Java http://www.PRC68.com