[time-nuts] Z3816A alarm

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sat Jan 22 00:58:53 UTC 2005

I hope someone can help me understand why I have an alarm light.

I had my Z3816A running well for quite a while. The other day, I played
with trying a different GPS antenna. As expected the box went into
holdover while I had the antenna disconnected. With the new antenna
everything seems ok except I have an alarm light on the box. It didn't
go out after >24 hrs. I cycled power today and it seems to be locked ok
and no major error, but I still have the alarm light.

I have been trying to read the status to see what the box doesn't like.
I can't seem to find any condition that should have the alarm light on.

Am I correct that *STB? should read the final register that generates
the alarm light? I get 0 when I read that. The *SRE? gives me 136 which
I believe is the mask selecting Operational Summary and Questionable
Summary. So if I am correct, I have no status condition for the alarm,
but the light is on.

As far as I can tell, this stuff is the same as for the Z3801A. Am I
missing something that would be the source of my alarm light? Any
suggestions how I can turn it off?

BTW, my current mode is Locked to GPS:Stabilizing Frequency so it is not
in final mode yet, but I don't see this making the Alarm light come on
from the Status charts.

thanks,
-Rex