[time-nuts] Newbie with questions

Brian Kirby kirbybq at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 28 19:26:17 UTC 2005

I believe the SRS 620 is a better instrument than the HP 53131A.  The
53131A has a single shoot resolution rated at 500 picoseconds.  From
test I have run, it can vary 190 pS to +500 pS.

I am in the process of running variance test on my disciplined rubidium,
and I baseline the counter and then compare against several references.
The baseline consist of of connecting a 1 PPS reference to the time
interval counter stop and start input, from the same timebase to the
counter, and then using 1 PPS from 3 other references.  The measurements
presented are 4 samples/sets averaged together (the actual samples of
the datasets are much, much higher).

As a quick reference of my 53131A, the noise floor at 1 second is
1.7x10-10, 3 seconds is 4.0x10-11, for 6 seconds is 1.4x10-11, 10
seconds is 4.8x10-12, 30 seconds is 1.3x10-12, 60 seconds is 7.4x10-13.
This test is still in progress, so I do not have data for higher
averages (yet).

I believe this is something we should all do, to get to know our
instruments.  Its a way to validate the data, considering that most of
us do not have our test equipment in a calibration program.

Brian - N4FMN