[time-nuts] Battery backup of frequency standards

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Jun 9 19:48:31 UTC 2005

Hi Chuck:

I don't think it's possible with a BA-5590.  There's circuitry inside
that limits the current draw with a dead short.  Fully draining the
battery is no problem, in fact there's a one way action switch on the
BA-5590/U that puts a resistor across each internal battery in order to
fully drain it.

You may be thinking about Li-Ion or Li-poly batteries where fire comes
out of the battery when it's mistreated (too much current either charge
or discharge, over or under voltage, or mechanical puncture).  Like the
video at:  http://www.valence.com/SafetyVideo.asp

Not true about LiSO2 batteries and commercial products.  The "D" cell
that's inside the BA-5590 is used in a number of products, medical
emergency equipment and head mounted flashlights come to mind.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE

w/Java http://www.PRC68.com
w/o Java http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PRC68COM.shtml